Fallen - Short Film

Started by Will Gibbons, December 28, 2017, 12:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Gibbons

Hi! I hope everyone had a nice holiday and a good end to a crazy year. I wanted to share the results of a project I began working on a long time ago and did a little bit here and there as I traveled for work. It's not perfect and there's plenty I wish I could change, but since the rendering took so long on my old computer, I'm not about to re-do any of it.

The whole goal of this was to focus on narrative and tell a story, something I'll be focusing on doing more of with my renderings this year.

https://vimeo.com/248815739

The whole thing was animated and rendered in KeyShot, then edited in Premiere Pro. Feel free to offer C&C or ask any questions. I've documented my process elsewhere, but it would be too much work to share all of that here. If you're curious, you'll be able to search it online.

Arian Shamil

Hi Will,
As i told to you on Vimeo, this is an amazing project!
I loved everything about it.....subject, cameras and lighting.....this is a little masterpiece in my opinion :)
Really an amazing work!

Will Gibbons

Thanks so much Arian! That's a great compliment. Thanks for watching.

DMerz III

Simply kick ass man, great stuff, loving the materiality and those camera movements are great!

feher

Will,
GREAT work. I loved it.
I hope you don't put this to the side. Would love to see you refine this to the way you want it.
Tim

Will Gibbons

Quote from: feher on December 31, 2017, 04:49:51 PM
Will,
GREAT work. I loved it.
I hope you don't put this to the side. Would love to see you refine this to the way you want it.
Tim

Thanks Tim. Some of the materials could have been dialed in and the lighting as well. The quick camera movement toward the end also is not my favorite, but I'm not about to re-render what took nearly 3 months on my old rig, hah. I'll be doing plenty more animations this year though!

Esben Oxholm

Solid work, Will!
Must feel good to finish up a massive piece like that.

Really inspiring!

Speedster

Will, what can I say except Thank You!

I lost many friends in Viet Nam.  And family members on the beaches of Normandy.  Your use of the jacks as a metaphor is so profound.

In Peace...

Bill G

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on January 04, 2018, 12:16:58 AM
Solid work, Will!
Must feel good to finish up a massive piece like that.

Really inspiring!

Thanks Esben, as always, I appreciate it. It does. It puts wind in my sails for more projects. :)

Quote from: Speedster on January 04, 2018, 09:38:37 AM
Will, what can I say except Thank You!

I lost many friends in Viet Nam.  And family members on the beaches of Normandy.  Your use of the jacks as a metaphor is so profound.

In Peace...

Bill G

Hi Bill, that's a very meaningful comment. While I don't have any direct ties (through family or other) to the US Services, I certainly respect what some endure regardless of personal, political or moral views. I'm glad you enjoyed it. The jacks detail was a fun discovery. Thanks a lot!

crankin

Beautiful. Love the textures and depth of field. The quick pan certainly doesn't fit in with the rest of the slow movement. Also the opening rising and panning movement could be more refined. Perhaps instead of up and across, up and slowly across at the same time might be worth playing with. I appreciate how hard and time consuming these animations are. Overall - excellent, and good to see quality animation all done in keyshot.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: crankin on February 19, 2018, 01:12:24 AM
Beautiful. Love the textures and depth of field. The quick pan certainly doesn't fit in with the rest of the slow movement. Also the opening rising and panning movement could be more refined. Perhaps instead of up and across, up and slowly across at the same time might be worth playing with. I appreciate how hard and time consuming these animations are. Overall - excellent, and good to see quality animation all done in keyshot.

Thanks! I absolutely agree re: camera movements. I've learned from this and have since moved on. Another one in the works :)