Importing Rhino file breaks object apart in surfaces

Started by droman, September 02, 2017, 07:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

droman

Hi Everyone,

Does somebody also experience that when your import a Rhino file in the new Keyshot 7 it now breaks apart als the objects in to surfaces?

I don't you if this a new behaviour within Keyhsot 7 of dealing with objects within the parts tree? I personally find it not unusable when applying or changing materials on the objects. As will get a endless list of surfaces in the tree tab. Which is quite a pain to scroll through.

Hopefully this is something which can be turned of.

Thanks,
David

DriesV

This is a known bug with Rhino models. It is going to be fixed.
In the meantime, you can import with 'Import NURBS Data' checked. This will give you a single object in the Scene Tree.

Dries

FaccioDesign

Hi guys,
I've installed KS 7 in the last days and noticed when I import from Rhino with "import NURBS" checked I can't edit the rounded edges radius anymore at least on complex geometry.
It works very well if I export in OBJ and then import in KS but not directly with or without using the plug-in.
This morning I tried to import in KS a simple cube in .3dm format and rounded edges works, so I ended up could be a problem of complex geometry with loads of poly? Did you noticed something similar?
Thanks
FD

DriesV

Hi FD,

This is a known issue. A temporary fix for now, if you imported NURBS, is to Re-Tessellate the model/parts inside KeyShot (right click on part > Re-Tessellate). After Re-Tessellation, Rounded Edges will work again.

Dries

FaccioDesign

Hi Dries,
thanks a lot for you confirmation, I believed I was doing something wrong in the the new KS7 importing process.

Cheers
FD

dr_tilo

Hello Dries,
I am using KS HD 7.1.51 so I can not tessellate. Which workflow do you suggest for me in order to be able to work with the rounded-edges function in KS?

When I Import .3dm files into KS I get all objects broken apart into single surfaces and therefore cannot apply the KS-function rounded-edges.

When I Export Rhino geometry to KS using the Plugin I obtain objects (not single surfaces) in KS but I cannot apply rounded edges and I also cannot tessellate with KS HD.

I read about the option of exporting as .obj from Rhino in order to obtain a file that is not broken apart into surfaces and that allows for applying rounded edges.

Kind regards,
Tilo

MK-ID

Hello guys,

I am experiencing the same problems since I upgraded from Keyshot 6 HD to 7 HD.
Imported Rhino files are only single surfaces instead of solids.
Usually I directly export Rhino files to Keyshot in order to maintain the structured layers wether for overview reasons or material applications.

Please fix this problem and send me/us your suggestions.

Thank you very much!