Scene Sets in V7?

Started by guest83783, January 10, 2018, 02:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest83783

I've been using KeyShot since V5 but didn't get much chance to use V6 before I installed V7.

Where are scene sets now?  I can see model sets but I'm more interested in changing the textures for different renders rather than all the bits about the model.  Unless that has replaced it?

Just checking in so i don't go down the wrong route!

Cheers

Andy

mattjgerard

Scene sets are now studios. I started in 6, and just as I got my head around how scene sets worked, they went and changed it all!!

For the better, though, seriously, the studios have drastically changed and simplified my workflow 100% from the past. Now if I have a product series that is all similar, I can load all the products into model sets, and set cameras for different views, assign a model set, camera and an environment to a studio and switch through them inside one KS file rather than having 20 KS files and trying to keep materials and lighting synced.

Search thier youtube channel for the Studio tutorial, it will get you up and running, and it will do exactly what you are looking for.

Eric Summers

I completely agree with Matt. Studios are really powerful once you know everything you can do with them. It sounds to me like you might want to look into multi-materials (if you're running Pro) and using studios to control materials that way. Old scene sets are converted into model sets in KS7, so that is another way you can control the materials of your parts. I'd highly recommend multi-materials if you have the option, it has simplified my workflow considerably!

DriesV

@ Matt and Eric:

I am glad to hear you appreciate the changes we made to improve your workflow through Studios. :)

Are you missing any functionality in Studios? Let me know if there are times when you think: "It would be totally sweet if Studios could do this and that".

Dries

mattjgerard

Quote from: DriesV on January 12, 2018, 04:35:29 AM
@ Matt and Eric:

I am glad to hear you appreciate the changes we made to improve your workflow through Studios. :)

Are you missing any functionality in Studios? Let me know if there are times when you think: "It would be totally sweet if Studios could do this and that".

Dries

The ability to drag and re-order would be fantastic. Honestly overall I think the Studios  feature, now that I've figured it out, is one of the crowning achievements of the KS team in terms of appeasing us organizational freaks out here.

DriesV

Hi Matt,

Organization (in general for lists), reordering and grouping is definitely on our radar.

Dries

Eric Summers

Quote from: DriesV on January 12, 2018, 06:25:26 AM
Hi Matt,

Organization (in general for lists), reordering and grouping is definitely on our radar.

Dries

Re-organizing the Studios list is the only thing I can think of, too. Glad to hear it's on your radar!  :)

mattjgerard

Quote from: DriesV on January 12, 2018, 06:25:26 AM
Hi Matt,

Dries

Good to hear. One area that I think still needs some love (Even though its getting loads better) is grouping and dragging in the scene tree. I hate to keep bringing it up, but again Cinema 4D has this nailed in the "Ease of use" catagory. Select the objects "ALT+G" and bam, in a new group. No extra window popups with several mouse clicks to select where you want the new group, then click new group, then click OK, then click to close the group up. Seems small, but its an "ease of use" polish that just makes it so much easier to use.

When dragging  an object or group, little arrows by the cursor indicate whats happening if you let go of the object. Arrow down means it will become a child of the object you are hovering over, or will be placed inside the group you are hovering over. Arrow to the left means it will be dropped on the same level of the object you are hovering over, and a line deliniator in between objects indicate exactly where it will be dropped, above or below.

Don't have to invent anything new here, look at what works, and go with it.

Oh, and Null objects. Would be fantastic to get a null object out there that you can use to point cameras at, animate positions and have the camera track along, parent other objects to and animate, etc. But that's another discussion for another time :)

Thanks Dries! (and team!)

DriesV

Hi Matt,

We will consider your suggestions.
The tricky thing is that making reordering too easy can completely break Live Linking workflows and will make model updates unpredictable. It is a fine balance.

Dries