turntable help please

Started by BillyBoyce, January 19, 2018, 10:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyBoyce

I want to do a turntable animation to rotate around a hole or use the hole as the axis of rotation not the center of the part. Any help would be great thanks..

mattjgerard

I've used a sphere, placed it where I want the axis to be, make that the camera target, then hide it. you can tweak and move it as needed to make  it rotate where you want to.

Its not exact but you might be able to get close. The other option is to set the axis in your modeling software. Usually KS will honor coordinates when importing , you might want to tick "center" and "snap to ground" on import.

BillyBoyce

Thank you I have tried what you are suggesting but couldn't get it to turn out quite right.
I was able to use the split tool and then was able to set the pivot move axis to that center but when I try to do the turntable it will only allow me to select the part then it rotates around the part not its new axis.

mattjgerard

Great! Too bad you ahd to split your geometry to do it, looks like it worked flawlessly.

BillyBoyce

Im sure now thinking about it I could probably add a different color to the hole before importing it and would then be able to select it that way.

BillyBoyce

So just adding another color to my surface (thru hole) made it possible without splitting it.
https://youtu.be/DBbe5f3cjQk

Will Gibbons

As long as you set the color of that surface in your 3D application before bringing it into KS. If not, use the geometry editor and 'splitting angle' option to isolate the inner cylinder.