Main Menu

UV question

Started by zooropa, January 22, 2018, 04:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zooropa

I would like to add a certain "crunchiness" to my cookie bite.
I am not sure how to add a different map to that specific part of my UV. I know in Modo I can generate different UV channels for the same material. I believe KS will take only one UV per mesh. So I am wondering (I am sure its possible since I saw already so many amazing detailed renders) how to add a different map for my bump there and maybe more rougher reflections.

zooropa

I am adding more details to show what I am talking about.

Do you think worth to try to sculpt it? Or just to add a normal map on that part of the cookie.

Is it possible to only change the material there? If so how? I guess I need to bring the model with a separated mesh in that part?

Or could I mask that part. I really do not have a clue. My uvs have every part of the cookie. What I need is to be able to have a different material in the same mesh. I could also use label, but no idea hot to make it fit there. I am thinking maybe painting the uv texture to use it as a mask in my label. Mmm

Will Gibbons

Personally, I'd just try to add a bump or normal map there. Probably use either the program you modeled this in or KeyShot's geometry editor to separate those surfaces in which you want the different texture.

DMerz III

I second Will here, if you want the fastest/easiest approach, model your edge as a separate part and do a displacement to mesh (which you then bake into the geometry) or use a normal map; the change in texture is drastic enough to warrant that.
If you DO know how to UV unwrap in your modeling program, you could do that as well, but it's just easier to separate the part in this case.

zooropa

Quote from: Will Gibbons on February 06, 2018, 10:23:27 AM
Personally, I'd just try to add a bump or normal map there. Probably use either the program you modeled this in or KeyShot's geometry editor to separate those surfaces in which you want the different texture.

Thanks Will, I am not sure if a normal map has the strength to push that crunch that much. So far I tried only one and it does not move the mesh a lot. Not even pulling the value high. Do you think Normal maps have different " intensity " embedded in their RGB to avoid the process of sculpting  ?

zooropa

Quote from: DMerz III on February 07, 2018, 07:37:37 AM
I second Will here, if you want the fastest/easiest approach, model your edge as a separate part and do a displacement to mesh (which you then bake into the geometry) or use a normal map; the change in texture is drastic enough to warrant that.
If you DO know how to UV unwrap in your modeling program, you could do that as well, but it's just easier to separate the part in this case.

I do know how to unwrap it. I did it in modo and I actually Unwrap it already. What I do not know is how to make KS apply only a certain effect in that part of the mesh. I think there is a way to paint uv (black white) in order to mask only the unwrapped part. The thing is KS does not read more than one UV (I believe) so I do not know if my mesh is only one ....how to use an specific type of UV for the cookie and other UV for the edge.

Now that I am thinking....I could use a LABEL and apply a mask to the label with that painted UV ?

DMerz III

Quote from: zooropa on February 08, 2018, 12:28:41 AM
Thanks Will, I am not sure if a normal map has the strength to push that crunch that much. So far I tried only one and it does not move the mesh a lot. Not even pulling the value high. Do you think Normal maps have different " intensity " embedded in their RGB to avoid the process of sculpting  ?

Normal maps will NOT move geometry, they are more of an optical illusion, to change the way light is bounced off a surface. In order to 'push' and 'pull' the edges, you will need to do that on the geometry level using displacement maps. Unfortunately, Keyshot does not have displacement capabilities at the moment. However, your modeling program should be able to take a displacement map, and bake that into your geometry (it will require a high poly count). You then re-export this baked geometry into keyshot and proceed from there. I have not used Modo, so I am not sure of how to do this, but I use a similar method in Blender to achieve embossing on a glass bottle. Good luck!

Let me know if this helps!

David Merz

Will Gibbons

Quote from: zooropa on February 08, 2018, 12:32:20 AM
Now that I am thinking....I could use a LABEL and apply a mask to the label with that painted UV ?

Maybe if you want to try. If you modeled this in MODO, you could just displace that with a texture in MODO, bake it to the geo and then export into KeyShot and re-apply all your cookie and icecream materials in KeyShot.

zooropa

Thank you both.
I did this few times, it is possible.

I will bake it. My question is, how to apply different properties where my displacement is? Without spliting the mesh...in MODO. I think maybe its good if i try the geometry editor.

I thought I could use a label and mask my uv to work as an opacity mask.
I will upgrade as soon as I get further. It is an in between project.

Regards

DMerz III

:) once you have displaced the geometry and baked it in, since you have a UV map, I would use that to create an opacity map/labels to get the desired coloration/texture on the edges, that way you have no need to split the geometry.

zooropa

Thanks a lot to everybody I will return with more. )