Can't place label on multiple objects after duplicating them

Started by klaasjanklaas, January 25, 2018, 05:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaasjanklaas

Hello everyone,

I've got a quite strange problem.

I am trying to place 1 label on 4 different objects.
Normally, that would not be a problem, because I know that when materials are linked, the label extends to all these linked materials.

However, this time it won't happen. I started my project with 2 objects. I duplicated those 2 objects, so that I have 4.
Now, when I'm trying to place 1 label on those 4 objects (2 normal, 2 duplicates), it seems impossible.
No matter what I'm trying, the label always appears twice (1 time on the first 2, on time on the duplicated ones).

Things I've tried:
- Unlinking all materials, applying different materials on each object, then link them with a new material.
- Not only duplicating the assemblies, but also the actual parts on which the label has to be (so that they all have different names).
- Different mapping types

See image attached for my problem.

Note: I duplicated the assembly BEFORE putting on a label.

Is there someone who also experienced this problem and/or knows a way out of this?
I would be glad.

Regards,

Klaas-Jan

mattjgerard

can you post a package of your project? So much easier to see what is going on if we can dig into your project itself.

klaasjanklaas

Hi mattjgerard,

I made a .ksp file, but it is too large for attachments (68MB)
I put in in my google Drive, here you can download it:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12V06zXB3f6Hjj4vHQtwozk7v_sZATOn1

I'm using Keyshot 7.2 Pro Floating by the way.

Thanks in advance!
Klaas-Jan

klaasjanklaas

I (sort of) fixed it by putting the same label on all 4 individual surfaces and then shifting them so that they look like 1 image.
For now, this is a possible temporarily fix, but not the normal way to go. The issue remains..

Will Gibbons

I would go about it like this:

1. Link all 4 surfaces
2. Map the image onto it via cylindrical mapping
3. Adjust the diameter to match that of the 'cylinder' (if your 4 surfaces were wrapped into a full cylinder)
4. Center on model (not part) will allow the texture to see all 4 surfaces as a single piece.

klaasjanklaas

Hi Will,

I know, I tried most methods already.
The problem is in step 1 and 4: the surfaces will not link so that they will be seen as a single piece.
I think it has something to do with the fact that I duplicated the assembly, but I still don't understand.

In the mean time I managed to solve my problem in another way. But thanks!

DriesV

Hi Klaas,

I was going to suggest that you could group all your models together and that it would then work, but it doesn't. :)
This appears to be a bug and we are looking into it.

Dries