Main Menu

Nokia 8800 (Updated)

Started by Benny L, January 22, 2018, 10:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benny L

Feeling bit nostalgic when came across a photo of it recently, so I decided to do a quick tribute render before I get back to my main project.
So back in the days, I really loved the first Nokia 8800, from the aesthetics, form factor, and that sleek ball bearing sliding mechanism and the sound it makes.

Anyways, I'm still refining some details but I feel good enough to share these before moving further.  I added a MB key fob for that storytelling element, I wanted it to look like a lifestyle product photography and I think the MB key fob goes well with the luxury mobile phone of that era.
In short, I want honest/constructive critiques + vote for one of the shots before based on angle + composition (maybe lighting too) 

Hossein Alfideh

Haa this reminds me of my old phone!nice rendering Benny!

Jeff Hayden

Will Gibbons

Cool! Since you asked, here's my honest Crit:

1. I think the first of the two has better composition.
2. I think it's too dark overall.
3. It looks like you could tessellate a bit higher (highlights seem faceted)
4. I think you need a low, small, bright light source to pop out details like the edges of buttons, etc.

I think those items could take it from being a good rendering and make it a great rendering.

On #2, I find that this is one of my biggest challenges personally. I work on a large monitor and when using dark environments/backgrounds, we get used to seeing all the details and even a 50% gray looks 'bright'. 90% of the time, I send an image to my iPhone to post on IG and I notice it looks too dark, so I edit it once more on my phone pushing highlights and darks to create a tonally-balanced composition. The little rim light I mentioned above too could help separate the object/geometry from the background.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Benny L

Quote from: Will Gibbons on January 23, 2018, 06:57:24 AM

4. I think you need a low, small, bright light source to pop out details like the edges of buttons, etc.

I think those items could take it from being a good rendering and make it a great rendering.

On #2, I find that this is one of my biggest challenges personally. I work on a large monitor and when using dark environments/backgrounds, we get used to seeing all the details and even a 50% gray looks 'bright'. 90% of the time, I send an image to my iPhone to post on IG and I notice it looks too dark, so I edit it once more on my phone pushing highlights and darks to create a tonally-balanced composition. The little rim light I mentioned above too could help separate the object/geometry from the background.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Thanks Will, that's what I'm looking for and after another look at it the next day, I do feel the first has stronger composition. Interesting point about working on large monitor in dark environment, I do have a large monitor + dim light so that prob made add another layer of vignette. Great idea to send to the cellphone to double check.

Quote from: Jeff Hayden on January 22, 2018, 11:37:53 PM
Love it Benny. Nice work!

Thanks Jeff! :)

Quote from: Hossein Alfideh on January 22, 2018, 10:36:47 PM
Haa this reminds me of my old phone!nice rendering Benny!

Thanks  Hossein, def love the design of this phone

Benny L

So here's an update.

Originally I had the idea of rendering it within a car interior setting but couldn't find a suitable setting, but thanks to Nils I am able to achieve this :)

Quote from: Will Gibbons on January 23, 2018, 06:57:24 AM

Will's feedback is helpful so I tackled those areas and here's two more to vote! Closeup or wide shots?

mattjgerard

Wow, huge improvement! I really like the wider shot, its not so in your face screaming "LOOK AT ME!!!!!!"

I really like the subtle off kilter angle of the keyfob, and I think the image would look a little more real to me if the phones were organically turned as well.  Not perfectly lined up? Maybe one on the seat in the background ? DUnno, looks fantastic as it is!

Benny L

Quote from: mattjgerard on January 24, 2018, 05:39:47 AM
Wow, huge improvement! I really like the wider shot, its not so in your face screaming "LOOK AT ME!!!!!!"

I really like the subtle off kilter angle of the keyfob, and I think the image would look a little more real to me if the phones were organically turned as well.  Not perfectly lined up? Maybe one on the seat in the background ? DUnno, looks fantastic as it is!

Thanks Matt, yea I struggled between the two angles since I'd like to see more details on the phone but I don't want it to be all "in your face". Placing it within a car sort of positions it as more of a lifestyle shot. It's about finding that balance I guess. I think it's getting close to what I had in mind when I started, I may do one more pass to mob up any details I can refine. :)

Benny L

Alright, so this is the last pass I got got. Refined some leather and other textures, subtle positioning of the phone so they don't look too "staged" , and some subtle lighting update overall to bring out some features of the key fob and phones.

I'm also doing an animated version of it but since I can't really post video here so I'll just post it on my Instagram (might post a link here later)

Thanks for all the helpful feedback again :)

Will Gibbons

As I said on Instagram, really great improvements!