Keyshot 7: Materials Library won't update?

Started by Funktion_Dan, January 31, 2018, 08:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funktion_Dan

Hello, I am using Keyshot 7.2 Pro ( and am relatively new to Keyshot).

I appear to be having some really weird issues when modifying the locally stored materials folder. I copied over some .MTL files from another project / user, and renamed some existing .MTL files:

1). After restarting Keyshot and even restarting my machine- the Materials library inside Keyshot does not update to reflect the contents of the materials folder stored locally: Users/Public/Public Documents/Keyshot 7/Materials

2). After restarting my machine - Keyshot appears to have wiped out everything I did locally, and the local folder now reflects what is shown inside of Keyshot! Weird.

What am I doing wrong?

mattjgerard

I think best practice is to import the materials using the icon in the library pane, that way KS will process them properly in it internal database and put them in the proper place. Not sure, but that is what I've always done and I've never had a problem with it. Some softwares (HELLOOOOO APPLE) don't like you to mess with the stuff in the background, just use the interface to do everything.

INNEO_MWo

renaming the existing mtl files won't work if you do not change the name in the mtl file. You can open these files with a text editor and in the bottom area you'll find the material name. This has to be change.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

Funktion_Dan

Quote from: mattjgerard on January 31, 2018, 09:27:36 AM
I think best practice is to import the materials using the icon in the library pane, that way KS will process them properly in it internal database and put them in the proper place. Not sure, but that is what I've always done and I've never had a problem with it. Some softwares (HELLOOOOO APPLE) don't like you to mess with the stuff in the background, just use the interface to do everything.

That makes alot of sense...Thanks!

Quote from: MWo on January 31, 2018, 11:30:17 AM
renaming the existing mtl files won't work if you do not change the name in the mtl file. You can open these files with a text editor and in the bottom area you'll find the material name. This has to be change.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Marco

Great info- Thank you