Poliigon Texture bank (related to KS)

Started by zooropa, February 02, 2018, 04:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Gibbons

Quote from: zooropa on February 06, 2018, 04:11:58 AM
I believe they uploaded more information at poliigon

http://d33v4339jhl8k0.cloudfront.net/docs/assets/571eb729c6979178c2129b86/images/5a78d45e0428634376cfd34e/file-ZdysfcRqay.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Would you mind please linking to where you found this image as well so we can have some more context such as when it was published and any other items that may be relevant?

zooropa

Quote from: Will Gibbons on February 06, 2018, 08:34:44 AM
Quote from: zooropa on February 06, 2018, 04:11:58 AM
I believe they uploaded more information at poliigon

http://d33v4339jhl8k0.cloudfront.net/docs/assets/571eb729c6979178c2129b86/images/5a78d45e0428634376cfd34e/file-ZdysfcRqay.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Would you mind please linking to where you found this image as well so we can have some more context such as when it was published and any other items that may be relevant?

Oh yes, sorry.

http://poliigon.helpscoutdocs.com/article/49-how-to-use-poliigon-textures-in-keyshot

mattjgerard

Holy carp this is great info. I'm going to book some time in the morning to play :)

DMerz III

The Fresnel on/off is a huge part of this I think. Metal = off Dielectric = on is the rule of thumb (?) At least that is what this sample pack is telling me.

mattjgerard

Quote from: DMerz III on February 07, 2018, 07:20:55 AM
The Fresnel on/off is a huge part of this I think. Metal = off Dielectric = on is the rule of thumb (?) At least that is what this sample pack is telling me.

Thats what I am reading. I have the sample materials loaded and will actually be using them on a project int he next day or two. My concern is with the tiled sphere in the middle with the imperfections? My eye just saw white splotches on the surface of the tile, I didn't see any opacity to the splotches, no depth or specular coming from the fingerprints and scratches. I'll be playing with them later to put some gunk and grime on a printing press. I will post my results as I get them.

I'm hopefully optimistic. This is why I'm really looking for some seriously in depth training on the MatGraph and all the knobs and sliders in the nodes to tell me exactly what each control does instead of doing my button-pushing-knob-twisting-till-something-works BS.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: mattjgerard on February 07, 2018, 08:09:44 AM
I'm hopefully optimistic. This is why I'm really looking for some seriously in depth training on the MatGraph and all the knobs and sliders in the nodes to tell me exactly what each control does instead of doing my button-pushing-knob-twisting-till-something-works BS.

I hate to be that guy, but have you had a chance to watch this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6liInjrE48 I'm pretty sure we break down every node in there.

Will Gibbons

I made this the other day playing with some Poliigon textures. I can't say it's exactly plug and play though... I see the desire to have KeyShot behavior with their assets, but I always seem to fall into a rabbithole when playing in the mat graph (please ignore the repeating scratch texture)

mattjgerard

Quote from: Will Gibbons on February 07, 2018, 09:10:34 AM
Quote from: mattjgerard on February 07, 2018, 08:09:44 AM

I hate to be that guy, but have you had a chance to watch this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6liInjrE48 I'm pretty sure we break down every node in there.

No need to hate being that guy Will. I'll admit I don't have the time to go through and watch all the videos you have on Youtube, so if I missed one I'm glad you can be an awesome reference as to where to get that info. One of the many reasons I love this forum, everyone is so giving of information and helpful. Well, except for the one that did the boolean cutaway material, that one just up and disappeared like a fart in the wind.

And I'm ok with it not being "plug-n-play", that just means I need to take the time to figure it out. This video is on my to-watch list. Thanks!

DMerz III

Ah Eric, good to hear from you! Excited to see what you've been working on!

Will, that floor looks great! I am really excited about the poliigon developments. While I still appreciate all of the procedural elements built into Keyshot, sometimes you just need that seamless map to do the heavy lifting on certain textures, especially the surface imperfections, those go a loooong way!

zooropa

Good news ...nice HDR Lights added in Poliigon !

Esben Oxholm

EDIT: Well, I just discovered I did a mistake in that tutorial - took it down again.
Applied the gloss map to the specular channel and reflection map to the roughness channel which is the WRONG way. Should be opposite.

Will re-record when I can carve time out for it.

With the risk to add more confusion, I did a tutorial on how to setup the Poliigon maps. It's heavily based on the way the Poliigon guys recommend it with some personal tips of mine on top :) - Hope it will help clarify the process for some.

Cheers,

(VIDEO REMOVED)

zooropa

Will Gibbons