number to color (roughness)

Started by zooropa, January 22, 2018, 03:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zooropa

I am rendering an ice cream sand-which. I did not tweak the roughness yet. I would like to add some details.
The textures that I am using to overlay these details are off course greyscale.
At this moment I am satisfied with my current general roughness (0.095). The problem comes when I add a roughness texture my channel will start to be driven by color instead of my desired general value (0.095). What I would like to achieve is to translate 0.095 to the background color in my roughness texture and then regulate my scratches.

The manual does not specify too much about this. I tried to research on color to number node.

Any ideas? Every time I checked a tutorial the instructor plays with this node but usually they do not match it with an specific value, but play it by eye.

Thanks

Will Gibbons

Did you watch this tutorial yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6liInjrE48 I recall covering both roughness and color to number in this webinar. There's a helpful PDF you can download to reference too in the description of the video.

KeyShot automatically converts image textures to grayscale when using them for things like roughness, bump, bump height, color fade... Each pixel of color is translated to a grayscale value between 0.00 and 1.00

Black = 0.00 and White = 1.00. A roughness value of 0.095 translates to a very dark gray (roughly equal to 1 on the grayscale slider) if I'm not mistaken.

Using a color to number node helps in re-mapping these values. It's like controlling the white and black min and max values.

zooropa

Quote from: Will Gibbons on January 22, 2018, 07:31:45 AM
Did you watch this tutorial yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6liInjrE48 I recall covering both roughness and color to number in this webinar. There's a helpful PDF you can download to reference too in the description of the video.

KeyShot automatically converts image textures to grayscale when using them for things like roughness, bump, bump height, color fade... Each pixel of color is translated to a grayscale value between 0.00 and 1.00

Black = 0.00 and White = 1.00. A roughness value of 0.095 translates to a very dark gray (roughly equal to 1 on the grayscale slider) if I'm not mistaken.

Using a color to number node helps in re-mapping these values. It's like controlling the white and black min and max values.

Exactly what I wanted. Thank you Will

zooropa

Again Will! Great link you gave me.

I just wanted to share the cookie improvements.

Will Gibbons

Looking a lot better than where you started!

zooropa

Quote from: Will Gibbons on February 05, 2018, 07:58:00 AM

Thanks ! Good hearing that from you man

yes it is coming to life. I still need to find the right lighting. I only get a nice lighting when I use the camera how it is in the last post...but i do not want that angle...as soon as i change it ...the light gets bad and the model looks flat.

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: zooropa on February 05, 2018, 08:39:21 AM
Quote from: Will Gibbons on February 05, 2018, 07:58:00 AM

Thanks ! Good hearing that from you man

yes it is coming to life. I still need to find the right lighting. I only get a nice lighting when I use the camera how it is in the last post...but i do not want that angle...as soon as i change it ...the light gets bad and the model looks flat.

Yeah, you need to fine-tune the lighting (rotate the HDRI, adjust pins, etc.) for the specific camera angle you like.

zooropa

I am playing around with some HDRI pins to get a more realistic lighting.

I think it would be a nice add-on for upcoming versions or as a package, Photostudio light pins !

I do like more the effect with the KS pins.
I will post more soon! Thanks so much!