Transparent materials showing "Dark Spots"

Started by Funktion_Dan, February 04, 2018, 10:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funktion_Dan

Hi, I am attempting to render a vehicle- in a translucent state- with some of it's internal components.

I'm getting what I think are some weird results, with really pronounced opaque areas ( which seem much darker than simply the sum of the parts' translucence)

For instance- three parts which have 10% opacity (90% transparent, or .9 transparency setting ) visually stacked to the viewing angle- should be a net 30% opacity. Not completely opaque ( which is 100% opacity). Or, a fastener will turn from translucent to completely opaque- depending on the viewing angle....

Is there a way to get a nice, relatively realistic translucent effect- without the pronounced "dark patches"?

Thank you

*I can't show the model in it's entirety ( because it could be considered sensitive by the client)

Will Gibbons

How many ray bounces does your scene have (under the lighting tab) I suspect it may be low and may affect this.

Funktion_Dan

That's a good question.

This is for a 30 fps animation, so I'm a little afraid of cranking up any of the settings- but that may just be the issue!

Thank you.

Funktion_Dan

That was exactly the problem- boy do I feel dumb, but I appreciate it.

Will Gibbons

No problem. You may want to use interior mode and see how it looks with that. It can speed up renderings especially when working with animations.