KeyShot - but with GPU rendering?

Started by Reuben J, February 06, 2018, 04:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMerz III

In regards to the Radeon Pro Duo;

I could be wrong, but even though it has a 32GB version in one card, I still believe you're limited to 16GB (as it is built as dual-GPU with 16GB  vRAM each).

DriesV

Correct, the Radeon Pro Duo is basically two GPUs glued together on one board. The system will still see it as two separate GPUs, with the 32GB memory evenly split between the two.

Dries

andy.engelkemier

It sounds an Awful lot like he's just describing Bunkspeed. It's basically a keyshot equivalent and runs on GPU.

I have run both, and can tell you that the equivalent amount of rendering power you'll get out of a GPU vs an Entire computer system is not even close to equal.
Lets just say for a second you're running a Ryzen processor for what, $800USD? That's expensive right? Throw in a pricey $400 motherboard, maybe $400 worth of memory to get you pretty high there. A decent case, a zippy SSD. Wait...what's that, about $2500 for an incredible machine. Remember, you didn't really need a graphics card better than the one that's built on to your mother board.

Compare that to the Quadro you'll need. Well first, you need a computer to run it, so you're already somewhere around 1K. You'll want at least a P5000 quadro for 16GB of memory right? Well you've just added nearly 2K to the computer. You'll probably need a larger case. Is your power supply sufficient? You'll need to upgrade that as well.
And you want to render larger than 4000 pixels? Shoot...well, now you have to render that in chunks.

GPU rendering Can be quite fast. But it has limitations. One of them is that you're stuck with real-time rendering. That means more noise, more fireflies. And no shortcuts. With keyshot, assuming you have a good knowledge of sample rates, you can get a high quality image using the background render mode for most scenes. With CPU you can also cache data more easily.....well, I'm making that assumption based on my knowledge of some other render programs. I'm not sure how much keyshot takes advantage of it, but I've never hit a giant memory snag in keyshot. Plus, adding a little more memory isn't a huge issue. In Bunkspeed I was constantly fighting memory issues. You can only render as much as you can fit Entirely on your card. Adding multiple doesn't help either. It's not additive.

Now, if All you're doing is rendering scenes for animation size frames? Perhaps GPU isn't a terrible choice.
But if you want flexibility, just let they Keyshot team develop what they need. GPU is a completely different path, and isn't entirely without issues.

There are a few more GPU renderers out there, but Bunkspeed is the only other one out there that directly competes with Keyshot in terms of scene set up and speed to a decent image.