Optimal shared resource library setup for multiple users in one company?

Started by Allan, February 09, 2018, 01:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

I need your inputs on how to optimally set up a shared resource library for multiple users in one company.

Our setup:

• We are multiple users in one company using Keyshot for rendering our Autodesk Inventor models.
  • We have a network drive where we can share our Keyshot resources.
  • Our idea is to have all our resources and Keyshot scenes/models on that network drive, so references to textures etc. are intact when different users open the models/scenes
It raises some questions:

• Can we "lock" individual textures or materials or folders containing these, so users don't modify or delete them by accident?
  • How do we handle when Keyshot is updated to a new version where the default environments and textures might be deleted or modified? We want to make sure that existing scenes don't have missing textures or environments.
  • Does Keyshot get slow, when all scenes and resources are placed on a network drive? (we have a fast enterprise-grade company network)
I know, it has been discussed a bit earlier here, but it don't give all answers:
https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=13580

KeyShot

• Can we "lock" individual textures or materials or folders containing these, so users don't modify or delete them by accident?

You can setup folders in the library (in preferences). These folders can point to your network drive and since they are in the library they will be more difficult to modify / delete. You can even protect the files, so it cannot happen.

• How do we handle when Keyshot is updated to a new version where the default environments and textures might be deleted or modified? We want to make sure that existing scenes don't have missing textures or environments.

The custom folders will not be touched, so updating should be a smooth process.

• Does Keyshot get slow, when all scenes and resources are placed on a network drive? (we have a fast enterprise-grade company network)

It will not get slower, but it may take a little longer to load the scenes. Once the textures are loaded the performance is the same.

INNEO_MWo

As I mentioned in the thread you linked, you can use a simple script for that. This script is about two simple rows.
1. Robocopy from the master lib the missing files and structure to the user library.
2. Start KeyShot

This means a slow start of KeyShot if several gigabytes of data has to be transferred via network. But loading huge scenes needs only local resources. If the synced local library contains the same files like the master, the start is quick.
The benefit is that by permission only the admin take changes to the master.

Working with shared folders is also a solution. But with a mix of local and shared paths. The render files and animation should be local till the final result is reached. (Nobody like to manage the test files of several users.)

Both solution can combine copied or shared files with local user files. But then finished scenes has to be stored as KSP.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Marco

(Written in short form on a mobile)

mattjgerard

This is how I set up out little team,  just the two artists for now, but soon to add an intern.

All keyshot library assets are on the shared Marketing network drive, and all instances of Keyshot point to that. There is a folder int he materials and Environment tabs that are named our company "Banner", so that all custom and product specific materials are put in that folder, and then in a sub folder by product. If I add or change anything in the library, it propogates to all other users. Our team is small enough that I'm not worried yet about anything getting wiped out or changed to the point where it breaks something.

We have our project files local on our machines, then when the project is finished we save to a package, and I zip that with all the other project assets (textures, psd files, AI files, word docs and emails) and archive it to our archive system. Anyone at any time can pull that archive, open the zip, open the ksp file and get exactly what was there when the project was made.

Now, I also run several backup actions at night, I clone my project drive to the network every night, and I close the keyshot assets folder that is on the network to my local drive every night. And the IT dept does a LTO update backup every night. So I think we are protected from most situations.

Harmen

Thanks everybody for the explanation about how to use a shared resource library.
I have the same challenge in the company I am working.
Not sure if I understood everything correct.

Using resources on a shared network drive will not slow down Keyshot? Once the textures, etc. are loaded the performance stays the same? Even when it has to 'search' every time over the network?

Not sure what the benefit is of synchronise the resources before starting up Keyshot. The textures, etc. will change on daily basis, so you also need to synchronise/copy it back to the shared network folder, isn't?

We are using Keyshot for approx. 1 year, but still only on local computers. If we copy the resources over to a shared network drive, does it have effect on the existing keyshot files? Will all the textures still load correctly?

Thanks,
Harmen

mcivank

Through trial and error I've split KeyShot 6 and 7 resources. Some of the advanced materials, specifically translucent render very differently between the versions.

On a team of 2 sharing 3 machines I point each machine to a network copy of the KS6 and sperately KS7 rescources except: Renderings and Scenes (local). The Queue is saved in the Scenes folder so you don't want those wires getting crossed.

Then I add our customer material folders for KS6 and KS7 seperate, as above.