Newbie having trouble moving model in scene.

Started by pstroupe, February 19, 2018, 06:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pstroupe

Hey people!
I'm using 6.3 and can't figure out how to move my model in a scene. I have a backplate image and need to move the model up and down. I can zoom, tumble and rotate. In the scene manager I can select the model, click on the "position" tab and click on the move tool. The widget comes up, but when i drag the "y" arrow the model jumps severely and I can't position it as needed.

HELP PLEASE!!!!

mattjgerard

Check your camera target, i had a problem with that as well. Just make sure that your camera target is centered on your model.

What are your units in your scene?  Can you move the model by typing in numbers into the position  fields?

pstroupe

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Millimeters. Not sure how to center the camera? In "camera" tab do I click on "select "look at" Point"?

pstroupe

...and yes I can move the model by inputting numbers into the position fields

mattjgerard

Yes you can do that, or right click on the part  in the viewer and select NAVIGATION->SET CAMERA TARGET  or my favorite  SET MODEL CENTER AS CAMERA TARGET

or you can right click on any level in the scene tree and set as camera target as well. works great if you just want to set the camera target to your whole models' center point.

pstroupe

Like I said I'm a newbie so some obvious things aren't obvious to me... When I right click on the model, a menu pops up, but I don't see Navigation in the list or set camera target. I can choose "center and fit part" and "center and fit model". When I choose one of these the model disappears. Argh!

mattjgerard

OK, first off make sure that your model is centered, and not zinged off into the netherworld at some crazy far distant coordinates. You can do that by selecting your top model in the scenen tree and in the POSITION tab below click on CENTER and SNAP TO GROUND. Some of the CAD models I import for some reason fly off into space and are thousands of MM off center when they are imported, and that screws with stuff.

I only have KS7, so I'm not sure where that function is in 6.3, but somewhere you can set the camera target. Sometimes if needed I'll create a sphere from the EDIT-> ADD GEOMETRY-> SPHERE  and use that as the camera target so I can get  the framing to behave properly. Then hide the sphere .

TGS808

If you are willing to upload the .bip file so someone here can take a look at it, that may go a long way as to figuring out how to fix your issue.

theAVator

I dont think Set as camera target is a feature in KS6, it would be the Set Look at Point and was renamed in KS7. So some of the suggestions may just be version differences.

The fact that it jumps makes me wonder if there's an issues with units or the size of a piece. I would go piece by piece and look for abnormalities in the "physical" size. If your scene is set to mm and you see an object with a size of 0mm, delete it, that will present issues when doing certain things. Also look for those that are abnormally large, i.e. a part that like 5,000,000 mm or larger even as those will present issues when positioning or moving or scaling. If you take the full top level model and do the center and fit thing and it zooms way out to fit it in, then you may have a stray piece of geometry out there that needs to be addressed to bring things in where they should be. Only real way to find it is piece by piece down the list. I've simplified this search before by performing the center and fit thing on sub-components/sub-groups and if it worked, i could eliminate that group as a potential cause, then go on to the next one and do it until a group produces the same result that the whole did, then break down into that group doing the same thing, and just continue on till you narrow down a single part or several single parts and then delete them or resolve the issue that part has.

idk, just throwing out some random ideas that have presented issues to me in the past.