Problem importing from modo FBX

Started by zooropa, February 16, 2018, 08:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zooropa

Hi. I do not understand why but this is happening:

The file is here just in case.

zooropa

I tried different ways. Stills my mesh looks with errors. If some one can help me I would appreciate it .

Thanks !

DMerz III

Looks like normals are screwy. Could be from a lot of different factors unfortunately, but have you tried going into the geometry editor and recalculating normals yet?

zooropa

Thanks DMerz. That worked out...
It is funny from the luxion support could not give me any answers.

I guess I would need to stick with the forum. Unfortunately the worked  was delivered as it was...in Modo.

It is nice to know it for next times ;)

3dpraxisstudio

DMerz III

No problem!  :D Glad it worked, usually that's one of the first things I check when things just look off, especially when things look triangulated like that. The 2nd thing to check for would be 'Z fighting' which is when there is actually duplicate surfaces trying to occupy the same space, that will look a lot like patchy blobs of light and dark. (just fyi in case you ever encounter that)

zooropa

Thanks , I think I will start to make my own handbook with tips. I tend to forget till these problems return.

I did a check in modo...and it said the geometry was correct. Something must happened in the importing process or exporting. Do you usually import to KS FBX ? When I tried OBJ it seems KS does not read the units well. FBX reads the model accurate. I wish I could import modo lxo with the smooth. So far everytime I bring a mesh I need to over add a lot of polygons to have it smooth vs MODO native smooth display.

Thanks so much again

DMerz III

From my understanding, FBX units are strictly metric (and I believe so rigid that 1 unit in FBX = 1 CM), so if you model in metric, you're probably going to get expected results. OBJ is a little less rigid I believe and is very dependent on your settings within your modeling program. For my workflow, I usually stick with FBX, but it is what works for me, not everyone.

I'm not 100% sure on this either, but this is just what I've been taught.