Main Menu

Vehicles

Started by DevMatt, March 12, 2018, 09:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevMatt

More Images can be found here:

theAVator

The little rail car kinda looks like Guido from Cars and a Dalek had a love child. haha

Nice work! Do you do all the modeling and rendering? Or do you have a team doing the models and then make them look good? To me, these seem like they would take forever to create.

mattjgerard

He replied in another thread that he does all the modeling from scratch, no kit bashing. I've watched other modelers do these sessions, and when they get in the flow its magic to watch. I am looking to practice more modeling myself, and I see 2 things that are needed-

1) An idea of what you want in the end. Need to have direction, sketches, drawings, something to start with. The model can morph over time, change as ideas pop up, or as things don't look quite the way you want to.

2) Knowledge of the toolset. Nothing is more frustrating and kills creativity than having to research how to do something while modeling. I've experienced that in building my scenes. If you can work the tools without having to figure them out at the time, your attention can be directed 100% on being creative. There will always be stumbling blocks, but the more fluent you are in your toolset, the faster you can work, the more productive you can be and that in and of itself fosters more creativity.

I've had to make personal goals for my reviews at work, and these are 2 of them that I will be working on. It helps to be able to focus on mainly 2 applications that I now work in rather than the 12 or so that I used to have to know, so I'm really excited to be able to hyper focus on Cinema 4D and Keyshot.

These models and the texturing have a really defined "look", its fantastic.