Speed issue with translucents

Started by Josip_ZG, March 16, 2018, 06:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josip_ZG

Hello, Keyshooters.

I experience big drop-downs in speed when translucent and light materials are combined. My rendering scene consists of 2 important elements: outer body with translucent material (it has a cavity and has about 2-3 centimeters or about 1 inch of thickness) and inner body that uses Area light material. Huge problems arise when the light is on - it's nearly impossible to take the advantage of real-time window to see the effects of adjustments you made recently. By the same logic, rendering time takes more than just patience so I had to render it online on renderboost (I can't afford Keyshot's original farm). My take on this would be to split the job between Keyshot and Photoshop, since Keyshot responds by slowing down too much when lights are on. Here are two close-up shots:

https://imgur.com/a/fsYQ5 - first one is rendered on renderboost with 192 or 256 samples, other ones were rendered on my laptop with less samples and lesser light settings..
https://imgur.com/a/okr5P - occluded image showing inner section, so that you can understand the construction.

Is it possible to make this faster in Keyshot or some alternative like post-processing to add light is better? And what are some good ways to do it?

Will Gibbons

Unfortunately, if you want it to behave like it does in real-life, you need to render it and it will take quite a while. Sometimes you can fake it with materials like emissive and using a color gradient procedural texture to fade from one color to the next, but in your case, I don't think that's the solution.

Using interior mode for rendering technique should speed it up, assuming it meets your needs visually. Also, your real-time render settings will affect the final render time. I'd make sure you don't have caustics or ground illumination on in this case. May help.

Josip_ZG

Thank you for the reply, I'll try it your suggestions.