Not sure how to achieve a wavy effect on a shiny surface - Help!

Started by satrius, March 19, 2018, 12:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

satrius

Hi All,

I am in the mid-beginning of my Keyshot journey and I love it. But I am still learning and need support.
I am attaching photos of a smartphone that comes in two colours - Black and Gold. It has a glass/glossy back-case and underneath is gloss black material for the Black Device and mirror looking gold material for the Gold device.
It has very cool wavy effect (you can see on the photos) and I am not sure how to achieve it.  :o
Or may be it is something that the 3D developer should do before I get on Keyshot? But I doubt.

I will keep trying (never give up) but really hope I can get some help.

Thank you in advance!
#callforhelp

jhiker

No, you wouldn't do that in the model. That's a consequence of the lighting environment.

mattjgerard

If  it is something intrinsic to the product itself, you could do something creative with layering materials via labels, and masking out shapes to create a particular part of the material on the back of the phone to have different reflective and refractive properties. There was a fella here that did that with some frosted sections of glass partitions in an office setting, same concept but different implementation.

https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=20764.msg88013#msg88013

INNEO_MWo

I am not sure to solve this. But have you played with the anisotropic material? You can set different roughness values for x and y direction. One value hast to be 10-20 times higher then the other, depending on direction of this effect.

What kind of materials have you tested yet?

Cheers
Marco

INNEO_MWo

Will Gibbons

I know there is somebody who uses this forum who has created very realistic renderings of this exact phone. I just want to share that with you so you know it's possible, but I'm afraid I can't share how it was done. I encourage you to experiment with some of the suggestions below and keep trying. Good luck!

INNEO_MWo