Issue with Interior scene lighting setup

Started by cereal, March 21, 2018, 03:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cereal

Hey guys,

I've been trying to set up an interior scene in KS7 and I'm having problems with the lighting.
- I'm using 4 panels with an area diffuse light (3 inside the room and one outside behind the window).
- environment is a HDRI
- the room is fully enclosed
- windows are default basic white glass

I've attached some screenshots with the settings as I don't want to share the Bip just yet.
A 3 hour region render with 2000 samples didn't get me any further or should I let it sit for way longer?

Thanks in advance :)

Will Gibbons

cereal

Will Gibbons

Quote from: cereal on March 31, 2018, 08:52:32 AM
Interior mode was enabled

Interesting. It does seem slow indeed. What scale/units is this scene in? And more importantly, what is your machine's CPU specs?

cereal

The scene units are centimeters.

I'm working on a Macbook Retina with 8 GB RAM (1600 MHz DDR3), 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5.
Graphics Card is an Intel Iris 1536 MB.

Will Gibbons

That's your problem... the CPU is an Intel Core i5. Despite having 4 cores, it lacks hyperthreading meaning KeyShot will only see 4 threads. With an i7, you double the thread count and thus performance.

An interior scene on a machine with an i5 chip will take long. Interior scenes are known for taking longer... you could change your area lights to point lights and they'll be a lot faster, but may not offer the exact appearance you're looking for.

Also, the smaller your rendering, the faster it'll go. Best of luck.

cereal

Thanks Will!  :)

I think I should avoid doing interior scenes with my current set up from now on.