How to import IES light profiles?

Started by crankin, March 27, 2018, 06:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crankin

Hi. I have downloaded IES light profiles from lighting manufactures as 'name.ies' files. I can't import these into Keyshot as it says the must be .mtl files.  Can someone tell me how to get these ies light profiles into the light materials for key shot.

Thanks

Corey

mattjgerard

I think there is a bit of manual work to do here, you have to apply the ies profile to a material that is already on an object. So, for example, add a sphere geometry from the edit menu, double click the object in the scene tree to open the material, switch the material type to IES, click the little tiny folder icon and open the ies profile from there, or I think you can drag and drop the ies file into the path box. Then click on the disk icon in the material editor to save the material as a material into your library.

There might be an easier way, I'm not sure. This is how I've had to do it with the few LED ies profiles I've had to create.

crankin

Thanks for that. It was pointed out to me that that's the way to do it, so maybe its the only way. I've been doing it and saving the lights as custom materials, so a bit of work initially, but once done, there a good library to draw on.

Thanks for your reply.