Adding material to different surfaces

Started by sqinge, April 01, 2010, 04:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sqinge

Hello!

Can someone help with a problem I discovered when I tried to put material to a specific surface.
For example how can I apply a different material to one side of a cube?

Chad Holton

Hi sqinge. Change the color of the specific cube surface before exporting.

Speedster

Here's another trick.  Depending on where I'm going with the final project, I often (almost always) "over-map" the geometry in the native modeller app before importing into KS.  This gives me the most flexibility later, and often saves having to go back to the model and then re-importing.

Example:  Map each of the six faces of the cube a different color.  You can the paint to suit, and combine materials into one or two material groups as well.

Another trick:  KS recognizes "surfaces", not parts as such.  So, for a ground plane, for example, you can map one surface green and the opposite (bottom) surface blue- it does not matter what color.  Then you can create some wonderful effects, such as applying "Black Chrome" to the bottom surface and "Frosted Glass" to the top surface, for a great subtle effect.

Here's an example of the ground plane concept from one of my giclee prints, with the original KeyShot rendering tweaked in FilterForge.

Bill G
www.GouldStudios.com

sqinge

Thank you so much for the help! It worked out fine for me by changing it before importing it to KS!

Thanks again!