Keyshot Plugin for Fusion 360 [x/post Autodesk]

Started by cjwidd, March 28, 2018, 11:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjwidd

I have tried exporting bodies / surfaces from Fusion 360 in just about every possible manner, with varying degrees of success and importing into 3ds Max, Zbrush, etc. Different file formats produce different levels of quality (e.g. STEP, IGES, STL, .obj), but far and away the cleanest transfer of data is between Fusion 360 and Keyshot. When I send a model to Keyshot, the form is completely unaffected - better than highest precision STL export.

1. Why is there virtually no quality loss when sending a model directly to Keyshot, but sometimes quality loss when exporting to a native file format?

2. Why is the mesh conversion method used in the Keyshot plugin so superior to the .obj export options in Fusion 360?

3. Is this plugin developed in collaboration with Luxion, e.g. does it contain proprietary mesh conversion algos that Autodesk does not support?

Blacktip

Hm... are you doing something that the rest of us are not? :) If you read the thread before this one, you can see that there's severe quality losses in models that are imported from F360 via the plugin into KeyShot. I have been in contact with Autodesk in order to hear what they say about the issue (jaggies), and their word is that its the KS-people that need to fix the plugin so that it reads the original vector data instead of making it a mesh (sorry if my technical wordings might be a bit off).

cheers

cjwidd

Right, I have seen the other posts, and in fact, the moderator from Autodesk's forums said the same thing. It's possible that the models I'm sending just aren't as complex, have less sophisticated curvature, etc. Either way, my question is ultimately about the difference between exporting at high precision .STL from Fusion 360 and using the Keyshot bridge. When I use the Keyshot bridge, I actually get a better result, compared to exporting a high precision .STL and it take a fraction of the time to export.

Blacktip

I'm glad that you seem to yield great results when using the plugin. I'f you have time, try to export any simple round object and bring it in to KeyShot (and perhaps zoom in, close to an edge). You'll see tessellation  ... (and if you don't, you might have some magic dust poured on your electronic equipment) :) I just searched and found the x-post thread you are referring to, and it seems like Autodesk is aware of the issues the rest of us are experiencing. I really really (really) would like the KS-team to get some smart-heads for a dive in the code and make some awesomeness happening.