Weird problem with TOON contour

Started by Funktion_Dan, March 29, 2018, 08:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funktion_Dan

So, I've been having this weird problem with a TOON material-- but only with (2) specific parts ( in a file of over 200 parts).

No matter what I do, these two parts ( the contoured "handle" part)-instead of having an outline contour, take on HUGE areas of contour color with the Toon material. This material doesn't affect any other parts in this way.

I have tried re-assigning the material, linked and unlinked, as well as re-importing the handle geomtery.

Any guesses?

Thank you!

bdesign

Looks like maybe the normals are flipped on this part (?)

Funktion_Dan

Quote from: bdesign on March 29, 2018, 09:43:26 AM
Looks like maybe the normals are flipped on this part (?)

You are correct! ( pointing inward). Thank you....But there is no way to actually "flip" the normals outward.

edit geometry > edit normals / doesn't provide a way to flip them..

bdesign

Flip them in your CAD application and re-import

Funktion_Dan

Quote from: bdesign on March 29, 2018, 10:02:48 AM
Flip them in your CAD application and re-import

I'll give this a try but i have a feeling it is tied to some weird geometry condition within the keyshot file. The geometry is fine when first imported - and then it starts rendering wrong.( 3 times now)

Funktion_Dan

So...basically, after playing with the normals both inside and outside of keyshot and otherwise re-importing the geometry 7 times, I just started over with all new exports / imports from scratch and a new keyshot file.

....After which I figured out that it is some weird problem with the geometry and the camera zoom / dolly angle! I had to baby the camera setting...decrease zoom, increase dolly, etc.