Problem selecting object

Started by Clausj, April 05, 2018, 05:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clausj

I find it really difficult to select an object, most clicks seem to be interpreted as the start of rotating the view and triggers a redraw. It gets easier if I leave the window to render for a while but it's really annoying. Most times I have to click 4 or 5 times without success. Is it just me?

mattjgerard

Depends I find on your camera settings, how small of an object you are trying to click on, and what your mouse settings are. If you mouse settings are very very sensitive I could see this happening. Try to adjust them so that the pointer speed is very slow, just as a test and see if that helps. You don't happen to be using a wacom tablet of some sort? I tried using mine with KS, and found it very tough to get right.

Clausj

Thanks for the suggestion. In my case it did nothing. I'm using the Apple Magic Mouse, the surface of the mouse is a trackpad and I guess I move my finger while clicking. Maybe we need a setting to account for that - or I need a new mouse (rather not).

mattjgerard

I used a magic mouse for years until my carpal tunnel took me down. Doc asked me which mouse I used (15 year video editor/motion graphics, so hard core mouse use) and I told him. He said to get a different mouse and it will go away. I hated it, because I loved the multi touch surface of it, had all my gestures and stuff customized. But I realized that the narrow shape of it was stressing my forearms. I would have to switch to my wacom tablet for a month until the pain went away then I'd go back to the magic mouse.

I ended up trying a Logitech MX Master, a larger ergonomic mouse, and its been a godsend. I haven't had a flareup in 3 years, and I have enough control to satisfy my need to customize everything I touch.

But yes, it might be the touch surface not being accurate enough to read your clicks. If they still make it, try BetterTouchTool, I used that to tweak my magic mouse to behave properly.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Clausj on April 05, 2018, 10:06:45 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. In my case it did nothing. I'm using the Apple Magic Mouse, the surface of the mouse is a trackpad and I guess I move my finger while clicking. Maybe we need a setting to account for that - or I need a new mouse (rather not).

Yeah, most serious KS users will rock a 3+ button mouse. Using an Apple mouse can really slow down your workflow or require you to remap hotkeys to make dolly, pan and tumble to work well.

I like to use gaming hardware personally since it's going after the performance market and there's lots to choose from and fairly competitively priced since gamers aren't the enterprise market that some hardware companies target.

Clausj

Thanks all,
I really like my magic mouse and don't have other issues with it (I did polish off the knife sharp edges though). I use third party software JiTouch to give me the third mouse button (why on earth does Apple not have that included?). I'll have to try out alternatives. Or maybe the Keyshot developers can give it a look, it might be an easy fix.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Clausj on April 11, 2018, 05:12:27 AM
Thanks all,
I really like my magic mouse and don't have other issues with it (I did polish off the knife sharp edges though). I use third party software JiTouch to give me the third mouse button (why on earth does Apple not have that included?). I'll have to try out alternatives. Or maybe the Keyshot developers can give it a look, it might be an easy fix.

You can use KeyShot's keyboard shortcuts in the Properties to add a modifier key to a click to allow you the functionality of a third button.