Constructive Criticisim and advice

Started by JasonM1972, April 12, 2018, 05:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonM1972

Greetings one and all,

Looking for some CC/advice on how to improve this render. It looks okay but I think that it could be better and I'm not sure how to go about it. the lighting is custom as is the materials, model was created using Inventor.

Thanks In advance

Jason

NM-92

I didn't even know this kind of things existed, so i had to look it up. This is heavy duty stuff, so maybe you can increase the bump of the paint a bit? Just looked for references and they look way more bumpy (blue paint material). Also, with the product floating you lose the sense of scale of this thing. At first glance i thought this was tiny, till i read the name of the image. Lighting looks okay to me, so you can play with the composition of the image and materials to communicate it better.

Hope it helps!

Josh3D

I've seen these bits, but some context in the image may help. For instance, you could show the system grayed out and cut away around it. Other than what Nico said, look at photo or other equipment and the lighting they would be viewed under. The materials come off a little bright with hard shadows. Try to add a little bit of color and falloff to the light.

JasonM1972

Quote from: NM-92 on April 12, 2018, 07:21:17 AM
I didn't even know this kind of things existed, so i had to look it up. This is heavy duty stuff, so maybe you can increase the bump of the paint a bit? Just looked for references and they look way more bumpy (blue paint material). Also, with the product floating you lose the sense of scale of this thing. At first glance i thought this was tiny, till i read the name of the image. Lighting looks okay to me, so you can play with the composition of the image and materials to communicate it better.

Hope it helps!

Thank You Nico

JasonM1972

Quote from: Josh Mings on April 12, 2018, 11:25:07 AM
I've seen these bits, but some context in the image may help. For instance, you could show the system grayed out and cut away around it. Other than what Nico said, look at photo or other equipment and the lighting they would be viewed under. The materials come off a little bright with hard shadows. Try to add a little bit of color and falloff to the light.

Thanks Josh for the response, can you explain greyed out and cut away (sorry it been a long day and my head is mince)?

Kind regards

Jason

cjwidd

1. Definitely round off those edges where you can; the fins of the mid section.
2. The materials are fairly monochromatic, maybe try playing with the AO / Curvature map types to add dirt into crevices.
3. Add roughness maps to improve reflections.
4. Add a ground plane and give it a concrete / stone texture to provide some context and ground reflections / shadows
5. Unless requested by the client, probably change the bit heads to a more recognizable metal material that might actually be used in production
6. Use deeper, less saturated colors to increase the gravitas of the part; it is a industrial tool after all
7. Decide on a lighting environment; studio, indoor, or outdoor?

JasonM1972

Hi there

thanks for the advice, this image will be for sales and marketing purposes, so needs to be nice and shiny with no dirt. I need to get to grips with the material graph etc, have been watching the seminars on YouTube after reading all your advice. The main trouble I have is that I have a full time job doing engineering stuff, then wife and kids etc. So I don't get much time to play with Keyshot as much as I would like. The stuff I am picking up, I forget after while as I'm not doing it all the time.

keep the hints and tips coming though as its really appreciated.

Many Thanks once again

Jason