Bent/Curved Reflections on Flat Surfaces

Started by monitorhero, April 18, 2018, 01:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monitorhero

Hello Forum,

first post. A thing that has been driving me crazy lately is the fact that my reflections are bent in KS due to the mirror ball Environments.
How can I avoid that? In Blender for example I can use an HDRI and get straight reflections like the objects surrounding it for real.
It just breaks the realism of the object when my reflections on a flat surface are bent.

In my example I used the Dosch Apartment.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Greetings monitorhero

Will Gibbons

Try increasing the size of your environment.

monitorhero

Thank you for the answer. But that only breaks the realism further since the closet seems tiny then compared to the Environment.
Is there any other way than rebuilding a whole room around it for correct reflections?

Will Gibbons

So, I hear what you're saying.

The short answer is no as far as I know.

Other 'hacks' that you could try:
- You could try placing an image pin on the HDRI and distorting it to compensate for the spherical distortion of the HDRI.
- Or, you could take a nice, high-res image of the thing you want reflected in your product and place it on a plane that is set to emissive. Then position the plane in front of your model. You can make it 'invisible to camera' but still be reflected in the model.

monitorhero

Thank you Will. The reflection plane is the method I will go with and read about already. Just wanted to ask if there might be another options.
Still thank you for the help.