New workstation for 3D Off the Page 112 Cores - 506.4 fps

Started by 3D Off the Page, April 19, 2018, 03:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3D Off the Page

Just finished building our new workstation and couldn't wait to run the KeyShot benchmark.  Without any tweaking it hit 506.4 fps.  It has dual Xeon 8173M's (112 cores) running on Windows 10 Pro.  Going to play with some settings and see if we can squeeze a little more juice out of it.

Will Gibbons

Man, wish I could come up with cash to build a system like that. I'd need to start making animations exclusively.

mattjgerard

CPU's are $3500 a piece  :-[

still, freaking awesome numbers. I'm experiencing the curse of more cores though, I've got dual 12 core CPU's, but the Clock is so slow that it is making running dynamic sims pretty painful, and the  performance in single core applications is pretty lame. But, our render server running 32 cores (64 threads) is now fast enough to keep up with 2 artists feeding it images.

Fun stuff!

3D Off the Page

We haven't been able to run any customer renders on it yet. The plan right now is to have this new machine at our table at RenderWorld.  So if you plan on being there bring a project to render.

As far as bang for your buck I think our 88 core machines are still a better way to go (2x e5-2696 v4's).  You're right Matt it's still all about clock speed for those single thread apps.  Our i7-8700k runs circles around the 88 core machine and will crush the 112 core machine in SolidWorks.

hnax

Quote from: 3D Off the Page on April 20, 2018, 11:02:03 AM
We haven't been able to run any customer renders on it yet. The plan right now is to have this new machine at our table at RenderWorld.  So if you plan on being there bring a project to render.

As far as bang for your buck I think our 88 core machines are still a better way to go (2x e5-2696 v4's).  You're right Matt it's still all about clock speed for those single thread apps.  Our i7-8700k runs circles around the 88 core machine and will crush the 112 core machine in SolidWorks.

Wow that's super great! my next target keyshot workstation build will be a quad E7 on a Supermicro board all water cooled. Not anytime soon though :)

I am running Solidworks on an iMac Pro 18 cores with 9 cores dedicated to Parallels. I keep the windows Performance utility running in the background and I work with very large assemblies. The CPU % never goes over 50%. The reason I am sticking with my iMac pro for Solidworks is because I am modeling on an amazing 5k screen. But I would consider moving to a PC if what you guys are saying makes a difference in working speed.

I use one of my 88 threads pc's (2 x e5-2696) as a gaming machine too with 2 x 1080ti Nvidia. I run all my games on Ultra with always over 60fps.

3D Off the Page

designgestalt

Quote from: 3D Off the Page on April 19, 2018, 03:39:32 PM
Just finished building our new workstation and couldn't wait to run the KeyShot benchmark.  Without any tweaking it hit 506.4 fps.  It has dual Xeon 8173M's (112 cores) running on Windows 10 Pro.  Going to play with some settings and see if we can squeeze a little more juice out of it.
May I ask, how you tweak the machine?
what possibilities are there to crank out a bit more?
thanks a bunch in advance!
cheers
designgestalt

3D Off the Page

It is built on a workstation board that has overclocking abilities so we are going to see if we can give the cpu's a little boost.  Not sure how stable it will be but it's worth a shot.  Might also have a source for some 8180's to replace the 8173m's.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: designgestalt on April 24, 2018, 12:09:22 PM
cheers
designgestalt

If you're interested in this, research 'overclocking a cpu' online and you'll learn what the process is like. Basically, you can send more power to the cpu and increase the frequency of its operations to make it run a bit faster. Of course, this comes at your own risk and shouldn't be done without extensive research. Though, there's plenty of documentation online if interested in learning more.

hnax

Quote from: designgestalt on April 24, 2018, 12:09:22 PM
cheers
designgestalt

I personally wouldn't recommend overclocking. First it takes time to find a sweet spot. And even with the sweet spot you will have the system crashing from time to time. So the time that you saved by having a faster system will be wasted by those crashing time + the frustration and wearing the hardware. That's my two cents.

3D Off the Page

I agree with the stability issues and it isn't for everyone.  But at the same time I enjoy working on getting a system to that sweet spot.

mattjgerard

Quote from: 3D Off the Page on April 27, 2018, 09:36:34 AM
I agree with the stability issues and it isn't for everyone.  But at the same time I enjoy working on getting a system to that sweet spot.
Meh, doesn't seem that difficult :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwJvHJ1hyto

Will Gibbons

3D Off the Page

Those overclocking competitions are cool (literally)!!