New workstation for 3D Off the Page 112 Cores - 506.4 fps

Started by 3D Off the Page, April 19, 2018, 03:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hnax

I am curious to see the results after the overclocking. Is it possible to list the components list (motherboard brand and such)? And please as well if it's possible to post the snapshots of the fps.

thank you so much

3D Off the Page

Case: Thermaltake Core P5
MB: Asus WS C621E
CPU: 2x Xeon 8173M
Graphics Card: nVidia Quadro P4000
HDD: Samsung 960 Pro M.2 500gb
RAM: 4x Crucial 16gb pc4-21300 ecc registered
Cooling: 2x Dynatron B14
Power: Corsair AX1200i
Cables: BitFenix braided cables

I'll get some fps screen shots posted in a bit.

3D Off the Page

Gordon

Quote from: 3D Off the Page on April 30, 2018, 12:08:03 PM
Not sure why the picture came in rotated.
Likely that the weight of all those cores flipped it over :'P

hnax

Quote from: 3D Off the Page on April 30, 2018, 12:07:30 PM
I'll get some fps screen shots posted in a bit.

Any update on those screenshots before and after the overclocking?

Speedster

My wife says "you need to be overclocked" every night!
Bill G

hnax

Xeon processors are un-overclockable, just saying. I'll be happy to be wrong and if someone can show me how to do it

menizzi

Can you post a benchmark .bip file for us to compare our computers to yours? Or post a keyshot camera sample benchmark and let it go for say 3-5 min so we can see how many samples you reached VS what we reach at home with ours?

3D Off the Page

Here it is running the camera benchmark.

As far as overclocking xeon's, this new chipset is in fact unlocked and overclockable.  Being that they are fairly new there isn't a whole lot of info. LinusTechTips has a video on youtube where he oc'd some 8180's.

hnax

Thank you for sharing.

I think you were referring to that video https://youtu.be/MIIAz3i7v1E

The system is unstable and what is the performance gain vs dealing with an unstable system. Time is money.

I am interested to see a quad 8180 benchmark. I am itching into building a quad 8168 on a modified super micro  SYS-2049U-TR4, then when the 8180 price drops will swap the cpus.

3D Off the Page

Time is money and if we can achieve even a stable 10% gain for our render farm customers we think that it's worth it.

hnax

good luck with that, please posts the achievements when ready. thanks

I am puzzled that you are willing to offer professional rendering services on overclocked systems. Stability should be number one. Angry customers are the worse for a business. Why would you take that risk?

menizzi

hnax

Quote from: menizzi on May 16, 2018, 12:14:03 PM
He is talking about a stable overclock.

There is no such thing. I am a computer and communication engineer and I used to work with Intel in Portland and Hillsboro. Overclocking = instability. Some people are willing to do that for gaming and personal use. That's why by nature Xeon processors are usually locked. It seems like there are some exceptions now like the 8180. What if the system crashes once every two weeks. Does it worth it? Companies and professional services do not overclock by standard.

3D Off the Page

hnax, not sure why you are questioning how we are providing services to our customers?  We don't run servers or workstations in production that aren't stable (overclocked or not).

As to your comment that no overclock is stable I will disagree.  I have been building, working with and overclocking computers for years and there can be a stable overclocked computer.