New workstation for 3D Off the Page 112 Cores - 506.4 fps

Started by 3D Off the Page, April 19, 2018, 03:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hnax

Quote from: 3D Off the Page on May 16, 2018, 11:24:20 AM
Time is money and if we can achieve even a stable 10% gain for our render farm customers we think that it's worth it.

I was responding to that. You saw the video from youtube that you referred to. Xeon are not designed for overclocking and won't be stable.

3D Off the Page

With the chips being unlocked mb manufacturers will continue to release bios updates that will aid in stability.  I posted the video in reference to your post that asked for some info regarding xeon being able to be overclocked.  In the video he was able to overclock the cpu's (if I remember correctly he oc'd by 5 or 7%).   These aren't for use by gamers that are overclocking by 25% or more.  As I stated in a previous post if we can find a way to stably overclock by 10% we are able to pass that time and dollar savings onto our customers.  Of course if it isn't stable we don't overclock.  It does us no good to have unreliable service.

hnax

Okay cool, I am with you. Please update the thread when you find out. I am curious.

3D Off the Page

Will do. 

And let me know if you ever find 8180's at a reduced price!!

hnax

One of my systems is built on an Asus Z10PE-D16 WS. And the other two on a SuperMicro X10DRG-Q. All dual E5-2696.

The SuperMicro is about 9% faster than the Asus on multiple different benchmarks. I would invest into getting a better motherboard that is more quality/stability than overclocking an Asus. That's another way of looking at things.

menizzi

Looks like the 32 Core TR might put the rest of us very close to your setup. It would be nice to be around your speed for a $1500 ish cpu.

guest85409

We just finished putting a 96 core 1950x thread ripper farm together (3 - 32 thread machines).  In testing the 96 thread TR farm and the 112 thread machine they were within 10% of each other (5'ish minutes for a single frame).  1950x obviously has a much faster clock speed.  If we setup the 112 thread machine as a 96 thread network slave we then definitely loose some rendering performance (time more than doubled).  Running the same image on one of our 360 thread render farms the render time was knocked down to 3 minutes for that single frame.

When testing an animation the 360 thread farm was 2.5 hours while 96 thread ripper render farm was a little over 6 hours.

The thread ripper 2 cpu will be interesting to test when it comes out since it will be using the same socket as the current thread ripper and should only require a bios update.

We built the 96 thread farm as a test for a new service we will be offering soon allowing our customers to have dedicated and unlimited access to a farm in month long segments.  We will take care of the machines, licenses and any KeyShot upgrades.  If that is something that interests you keep watching for more information otherwise send us an email at info@3dotp.com with any questions or to be kept in the loop.

Will Gibbons