Material Browser: Active Materials?

Started by cjwidd, May 01, 2018, 03:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjwidd

I've been meaning to ask this since the first day I started using Keyshot: Why is it that materials that are not active in the scene cannot appear in the material browser?

mattjgerard

The purpose of the material browser that is in the interface below the scene tree is to do what you describe, just list the matierals that are in use. The materials that aren't in use are in the material library tab.

That being said, it would be really nice (And have made the request) that it behave differently. It would be nice to be able to have that material list in the interface under the scene tree be a "project based library" where you can gather and store materials for that project regardless of if they are used in the scene or not. This would be very handy to be able to save materials that you want to use later, or if there are several similar materials that need to be swapped out for testing, a place to create test materials without having to apply them to an object in the scene or save them to the main library.

That is fairly common behavior for material and texture managers in other apps, and I know C4D has functions to remove duplicates, remove unused, hide unused and other stuff to manage the materials that are saved within the project, but not in the main library. This would also facilitate having more useful project templates setup so we can have cameras, environments, lights, and materials all ready loaded into a blank scene for use.

HaroldL

Quote from: mattjgerard on May 02, 2018, 06:29:57 AM
... where you can gather and store materials for that project regardless of if they are used in the scene or not. This would be very handy to be able to save materials that you want to use later, or if there are several similar materials that need to be swapped out for testing, a place to create test materials without having to apply them to an object in the scene or save them to the main library. ...
Isn't that how the multi-materials function, to give you several materials that can be swapped out testing?

mattjgerard

Possibly, but from what I understand, multi materials are more for setting up the output of those options for final renders. I will admit, i have not dived into multi-materials yet, I've had no projects that demanded them. But I will look into it for stuff like this.

That being said, it would seem to be a bit of a cumbersome way of just having a bin to toss a bunch of materials into to play, test, create new ones without having to apply them, save them for later, etc. Then clear out the unused ones when done.

I'll check out  the MM later today.

Furniture_Guy

Quote from: mattjgerard on May 03, 2018, 06:22:45 AM
Possibly, but from what I understand, multi materials are more for setting up the output of those options for final renders. I will admit, i have not dived into multi-materials yet, I've had no projects that demanded them. But I will look into it for stuff like this.

That being said, it would seem to be a bit of a cumbersome way of just having a bin to toss a bunch of materials into to play, test, create new ones without having to apply them, save them for later, etc. Then clear out the unused ones when done.

I'll check out  the MM later today.

I was a late convert to multi-materials but now with the new multi-material button in the render queue window of version 7.3, being able to output 39 different colors ( in my case ) of different plastic colors is a huge time saver. I see the configurator as more of an onscreen presentation vehicle. Since we're up to around 122,000 images so far, my only wish is that it would have come sooner...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

Furniture_Guy

I found this very useful as an introduction into Multi-Materials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPGx3W5f3wc

Like everything he does, Esben Oxholm does a fantastic job explaining the ins and outs. Mr. Oxholm has the rare quality of being able to both do something AND teach something. Two different skills...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

mattjgerard

Thanks for the link, I think this is actually in my "to watch later" list on youtube :) Might have found my lunchtime activity for today!

This is all great for outputting many different color variations, in my mind I'm looking more for a temporary spot I can throw ideas for materials and such. But this might be it, I'll reserve judgement until I actually try it. Might work better than what I have in my head.

Cheers!

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: mattjgerard on May 03, 2018, 06:22:45 AM

As I understand you right, I guess the simple favorite option will be your friend. Just select the materials from the library and link it to a new fav folder. So you can add and remove fav materials or delete the entire fav folder.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

mattjgerard

That would work, but you can't develop or work on the materials there, they have to be brought into the project to modify or create them.

But, that is another way of doing it. I have many folders that are full of materials that are dedicated to certain product families, so I might be halfway there already!

cjwidd

"a place to create test materials without having to apply them to an object in the scene or save them to the main library."

This is exactly the intended behavior that I am trying to address with this post. Basically, every material editor I have used (3ds Max, Substance, Unity, UE4, etc.) support this type of behavior. I think it would be a welcomed feature in a future update.

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: cjwidd on May 03, 2018, 03:56:34 PM
"a place to create test materials without having to apply them to an object in the scene or save them to the main library."

This is exactly the intended behavior that I am trying to address with this post. Basically, every material editor I have used (3ds Max, Substance, Unity, UE4, etc.) support this type of behavior. I think it would be a welcomed feature in a future update.

I don't understand right. (have no experience in UE4, Unity, Max or Substance Painter) You'll need a scene with an object as and additional a light setup and lighting settings. Otherwise you can create a copy of the keyshot_library_geometry.bip from the installation path and create model sets with different material/combination/settings. And if you're happy with the result, you can save it to the library. (But!) I would also use the library as well to collect "test materials". Since we can apply several paths for material library, I create custom path for client, or projects and "my personal playground".

Maybe that helps!? (or we get it on the wish list?)

Cheers
Marco