Maximum number of point-lights

Started by phillysteak527, January 25, 2018, 10:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillysteak527

Hey all, I've been using point lights as LEDs to render a few products to get the right effect. Normally everything is peachy with around 60ish LEDs per product. I'm trying to render a product with 196 lights but only 150 will show at any given time, I'm assuming this is a software limitation.

First Question: Is there a better way to render the LEDs than point lights? I've tried to do it using emissive materials but never had good success.

Second Question: If this is the right way to create this effect is there any workaround to increase the number of point lights that can be used?

Thank you for your help in advance!

OliverBzh

Hi,
I have same trouble, did you find a Solution
Thx

Will Gibbons

Hmm. You sure you have enough ray bounces?

I just tested it. Seems like they're all showing. It's tragically slow, but here I've got 250 point lights in transparent plastic cubes.

phillysteak527

Will,

I did try it with an ungodly number of bounces and it will work... but it's so unbelievably slow that Keyshot becomes unusable.

The workaround that I ended up with was changing every light from a Point light to an area light. I tried using emissive materials but the color just wouldn't work properly. This is how it came out with area lights and 4-5 samples per light:

Will Gibbons

That's a lot of lights! Not sure it would help you in this scenario, but I've faked lights by using flat materials and color gradient textures.