Importing SolidEdge assemblies .asm - Problem

Started by Philrider7, July 14, 2011, 10:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philrider7

Now SolidEdge importations are pretty fast, but everytime I am missing a part or two. And it gives me parts I had hide prior to importing. I am doing rendering of big track systems and I have too many parts to check and if I am missing parts I might not even see it, cause its too big. Please help me.

Phil

guest84672

guest84672

OK - the best thing is to provide an example so we can take a look at it. Would that be possible?

jeffw

I also use SolidEdge and have had variable success with importing models directly into Keyshot. Parts like perforated sheet metal with hundreds of holes are missing on import. Rather than risk missing parts I have take to using simlab composer for all my importing. It imports all Solidedge geometry without fail and retains materials. In composer I then export the file as material based .obj and bring this into Keyshot. It works perfectly every time, very stable and no missing parts.

Jeff

guest84672

can you share a perforated sheet metal part as you described so we can take a look?

jeffw

As Hillary Clinton said, "perhaps I mis-spoke". I hadn't tried my problem part for almost a year and now it imports fine.
Maybe there have been advances in the releases since that fixed this issue. Good to know it works now.

guest84672

We used to not import sheetmetal parts from Solid Edge. We fixed that in KeyShot 2.2 I think.

Philrider7

Sorry for the wait, I was on vacation for a couple of days! I can't give you a file cause it's confidential and too big! If I can give it to your support with some place to put this big file, then yes maybe (i will have to check with my boss).

I was thinking of a reason for this problem and i would like your input on it.

The .asm file that I am draging in KS are assemble of many sub assemblies that are stored on different folders and servers. Can the importer have some difficulties to read the whole assmbly because of this?

guest84672

This should work. Because in the end it is just another folder ... You are also on the latest version?

Philrider7

Yes (2.3.2), for now I am having the tech put all the sub asm in the same folder. If this doesn't work, then I will let a Step load up during the night.

Gonna try many methods! 

Can KS read Parasolid?

Philrider7

Ok i did a small test with a 3 part assembly and then I hide part #3 in the .asm and I was hoping KS would have open it correctly, but no.

KS open every part of an .asm, even if its shown or hidden!

Please look into my test and see how KS imports everything, and I am still missing part of some .asm (I am trying to check if there is some french language part name that might bug it).

Thank you

I might seem to ask a lot of you, but KS right now is blowing minds of people at work with what it can do and I will in the future post these results when the times come.

guest84672

KS can't read Parasolid yet. I will take a look at the assembly.

guest84672

Cliff Stanton

Firstly the software is exceptional and I am very happy with the results but I have a couple of recurring niggles!

I am having problems importing 2nd assembly into keyshot, I have an assembly that imported ok (I have shown render of that in another post re: scale request/enhancements.)  But when I tried to import a fryerbasket (BA82.asm) it showed in the scene tree but not in the render screen.
I am able to import the BA82.asm into KS then save as bip. When I subsequently import KS as BA82.bip the scale is wrong, see attached image! I can adjust the image and guestimate the correct scale but the chance of error when issuing multiple renderings of similar appliances is not acceptable. Especially if they are to be viewed on the same page in a brochure.
It would be good if KS kept scales realworld as a default unless directed otherwise.

I also had a problem importing an appliance that was placed on a floorststand. The appliance showed up in both the scene tree and the render screen but the floor stand was missing in both!
My work around in this case was to import both item seperately as .asm files which thankfully worked at correct scale with only vertical adjustment to the appliance required to sit it on the floorstand.

I am limited to what I can show due to R&D nature of the appliances.