Help With Simple Lighting

Started by GregHinds, May 03, 2018, 08:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregHinds

Hi

I've only been using Keyshot for a couple of months and I'm still quite confused about lighting.

Sometimes I can get things looking very effective and other times I can't?

This is a simple wall light I'm creating with the bulb in the interior and two frosted glass panels covering the light however I can't seem to make it work. One challenge is getting the light to look effective and the second is getting the glass to look frosted so the light is still bright but almost cloudy through the glass.

Would anyone have any pointers, tips or be able to help me?

Thank you so much. As I say I've only been learning through tutorials and YouTube videos so I still have a LOT to learn!

Greg

INNEO_MWo

Hello GregHinds.

I changed your interesting scene a bit.
With the first shot, I changed the lighting to interior and let it run with 300 samples as a 32 Bit psd. Then set it to 8 Bit in Photoshop with the option evaluate histogram. I removed the few fireflies as described in the great tutorial by Esben Oxholm

Then I tried a different way using an IES profile that I created from scratch with "IES Generator 3" (freeware). All details can be found in the attached KSP.
The post steps of second and third shot were the same as in first shot. For better control I attached the PSD, too.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

mattjgerard

Thats funny, I was working on this same scene! I was playing more with different materials for the frosted glass, and was able to get it to "glow" a little, but had a really hard time trying to get the light through the frosted glass and casting onto the wall I made for it. seems that most materials that will give a frosted look have a hard time allowing light to pass through. I got the throw pattern I was looking for by adding a 0 to the lumen values, but that completely blew out the frosted glass. I gave up a bit, then ate lunch and now see this!

Good times...

INNEO_MWo

A frosted glass can be done with dielectric material and roughness in the transmission. And also with the advanced material (black diffuse and light grey in the transmission channels.

Cheers
Marco

GregHinds

Thank you so much!

This was really helpful!! Was great to go through and learn using the tutorial :)

Is there a simple way of just putting a light source behind a translucent material so that it glows? I do a large amount of product designs for lighting and I struggle if a lit bulb is casting light through a plastic, a frosted plastic of glass.

Thank you so much for your help

Greg

larryobrien127

I remember I see some information here: http://www.design8.eu/downloads/keyshot5_manual.pdf on what you require right now but unfortunately I can't open the file at the moment. Perhaps, give it a try. Good luck!

Larry O'brien
thesis help online