Handling a huge Scene?

Started by BachManiac, July 15, 2011, 01:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BachManiac

Hi!

I have a huge Scene in CAD (Pro-Engineer) from which I want to make a nice picture with keyshot.

When I export it to keyshot I have over 1000 seperate parts and I'm getting old if I want to set up each part for itself with an material.

Neither the CAD-structure nor the part-names are taken to keyshot.

My first idea was to seperate the models, so I have all "gray" models and all "black" models in a seperate scene.

The problem was the assembly of these scenes, becaus I had also the known scale-issue like here:

http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=1645.0

It doesn't matter what option I choose (center geometry ect.), It always import the models in wrong coordinates (the models are strongly centered) and some models are scaled at factor 10.

So is there a common solution for handling big scenes anyway? Or do I have to play with the whole scene and pick one by one object from 1200 for setting materials?

Would the ProE-Exporter be improved in Object-Names in some future?

thanks and kind regards

feher

I'm trying to understand what is happening here.
When you import the model as a whole what is happening ? is the model not coming in center? or are the parts going in all directions ? Not in body postion.
If thats the case it's something in your CAD program that needs to be done before importing model.
Does your CAD program have something where you can Bake Transformations and Clear History ? If so you might want to try that to.
Waiting for your reply.
Tim

You might have to set up your scene in your cad program by shader instead of objects. That way you'll be able to color up your scene much faster.

guest84672

We are in the process of rewriting the plugin that will maintain the assembly structure. Currently, you can't combine the imports through plugin and direct import - the scale will be off. This will also be fixed with the new plugin.

For now I recommend the direct import of the Pro/E assembly. It may be slower, but will give you the whole structure.

Tim Wolf

These days I am using the KeyShot plugin to get straigth from ProE (WF5) into KS. It works very well, and I appriciate it, as long as I do not need to make any changes in the geometry anymore (ProE to KS is one direction only). Unfortunitly it happens often during the product development that small changes need to be made. So it would save me lots of time if the scale/orientation-issue was solved. Hope to hear the positive news soon ...