Environment tab - KS7 vs KS6 - I need help with colour background.

Started by jhiker, May 04, 2018, 05:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhiker

This can't be right, can it...?

In KS6 I could apply a lighting environment, set a colour (generally white) for the background and the environment reflections and lighting would be maintained but with a white background.

In KS7 I open the same scene, use the same environment but when I choose a (white) colour background I get this grey mess and the lighting and reflections are gone.
How come?
Has something changed drastically?

mattjgerard

In the KS7 screenshot, that grey mess is the HDRI which is being used to light the scene, so  it is correct according to what is loaded into the environment. It looks as if the  HDRI that is being used in the KS6  project is missing or needs to be relinked in the KS7 project.

That flat grey color in the KS7 file is the default blank environment that you start with when creating a new one, and the color selection that is highlighted in your screen shot is where you select the color of that  lighting environment. The reason it is grey is becuase while you have the color set to white, the brightness is set to .5, which is 50% greyscale, which would be grey :)

The color of the background  for your render would be set in the  same place as  in the KS6 file, you have to make sure you are in the SETTINGS tab, not the HDRI EDITOR tab in the Environment area.  Then reload the HDRI image that you have in the KS6 file, and you should be good to go.

jhiker

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I had somehow slipped out of the 'settings' tab, I think.
Back on course.

mattjgerard

Excellent ! Getting good reflections on metals has been the bane of my existence.  I have done hundreds of images of flanges and fittings like those and its tough to get a good look.