sRGB Keyshot doesn't match sRGB Photoshop (and more issues)

Started by monitorhero, May 07, 2018, 02:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monitorhero

Hey Keyshot creators,

when I assign the sRGB color profile from the Windows System32 folder the colors change in the real time view in KS. This should not happen if Keyshot already uses the sRGB color space. Am I right?

I attached the problem in a screenshot.

EDIT: Forgot another problem. When I load the Image as backplate the colors are even more off. What is the problem here?
You can see, in Photoshop the colors are correct with sRGB Profile.
Loaded into KS as a backplate it is way more saturated. The original picture has no color profile applied. But since KS is using sRGB it should not look like this. I applied the profile in PS for the upper Image.But when I load the Image with applied color profile from PS into KS the Colors are still off as a backplate. What is happening?

Thanks for any help

monitorhero

monitorhero

I saw that Video before but it didn't solve my Problem.

Furniture_Guy

If KeyShot already uses sRGB why would you 'assign' it in the color management preference?

Doesn't KeyShot output in sRGB otherwise you're viewing it in the monitor color space?

monitorhero

It was just a test since sRGB in Keyshot is giving me different results than sRGB in Photoshop. In my Windows Color Management settings everything is set to Standard. I just don't understand why the colors differ so much (as seen in my screenshots)

Furniture_Guy

Presumably the woodgrain image being imported into KeyShot has a sRGB profile assigned to it?

monitorhero

The texture has the Adobe RGB Profile.

I can converted it to sRGB. When I load the texture on the model the Colors are  much more reddish than the texture in PS. I am still in sRGB mode in all the programs.
Also when I render the Image in KS of the bed I save it as sRGB in PS. I then load this Image in as a backplate into KS. When I hide my model in the realtime view the backplate Shows. Its also a lot more reddish then compared to the 3d model with the textures applied. This is really confusing me.

Furniture_Guy

Yes, color management can be maddening!

I would save out a copy in Photoshop of your texture in sRGB then reimport it. I would not reimport it into KeyShot to view it (as a backplate), I would view it in Photoshop. I believe viewing in KeyShot is the monitor profile (with color management off), output in KeyShot is always sRGB. Can't be good If you're importing a texture with a different profile and then outputting in KeyShot sRGB.

The important thing to remember is if you use the color management in KeyShot (Adobe RGB in the Quick Tips Video), you are altering your display of the colors in KeyShot to match something that it does not output. That's why you have to THEN take it into Photoshop and convert it to Adobe RGB. This makes no sense to me. Why use the color management 'feature' in KeyShot to display something that it cannot output to then have to RE-convert it back?

monitorhero

Yes I don't really see the point of that color management option anyway. I could view it in Adobe RGB but it is output as a more narrow color space. So I can't convert it to Adobe RGB anyway e.g.
Thanks for the help so far. At least the colors of my real time view match the one in PS when converted to sRGB. Still the problem with the textures color being different than what I see in PS remains.

Furniture_Guy

You're very welcome.

Since an imported texture is simply 'along for the ride' in a sense when imported into KeyShot, maybe only a calibrated monitor > sRGB could show an exact representation in KeyShot. Just a thought...

PeterSwift

Yeah I just stumbled upon the same issue. very frustrating and also quite scary that it's something that we have not known about.   Why dose it not display it the same way it renderes it out. It's so strange. I mean a normal photo view program can do it?

DMerz III

::) oy colors, such a difficult topic.

I know this isn't a solution now, but in KS8, I think there will be tone mapping, and true raw output (which you can do now and tone-map in Photoshop). This may help, not sure.