Animation Rendering Format

Started by Furniture_Guy, May 01, 2018, 05:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furniture_Guy

What's the best animation format to render in for a transparent background to then import into Adobe Premiere?

THANKS!

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

Esben Oxholm

I always use .png.
Has been working good for me so far.

Furniture_Guy

Thank you Mr. Oxholm!

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

mattjgerard

same here. png image sequences.

Furniture_Guy

Gentlemen, thank you.

I seem to be missing something here. When I output an animation (video output .mp4) with include transparency checked, the file has a white background. The frames output box is unchecked. Do I need to use a different format than QuickTime (MPEG4)?

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

Furniture_Guy

Oh, so you import into Adobe Premiere the .png frames output and not the video file?

So if you know you're not going to need the KeyShot video, you can output just the frames?

Many thanks!!!

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

mattjgerard

just to follow up with the solution, yes you will just import the png frame stack as an asset into premiere and premiere will treat it as a video clip. This is the preferred way to do it in case you need to re-render a number of frames to fix or change something, it is much easier to replace those frames in the folder then premiere will update automatically. If you render out and edit in premiere with the video clip, you have to manually edit that new re-rendered clip into the timeline at the right place.

Frame stacks are the way to go, just be aware they might not play back in real time at full resolution due to the lack of interframe compression efficiencies, so just drop the playback resolution in premiere to 1/2 or 1/4. This depends on your computer as well.

theAVator

To address the second question, yes, you can output the frames without outputting the video file. In your render settings, just uncheck the box next to the video option. This will also save a little bit of time as well, as it doesn't have to take up time combining and creating the video file.  Just make sure you have the output frames option checked On and whatever folder(s) specified that you want the frames to go into. 

You can also specify frame ranges to chunk up your render times if needed, you don't have to go for a homerun and do them all at once.
i.e. if I have an animation 600 frames long, i know using my max time setting that I can render 300 frames per night, so I'll queue up 2 renders: the first renders the frames 1-300, and the second for frames 300-600.

Furniture_Guy

theAVator,

Thank you for the additional info!

I'm very lucky, the machine I use can do 300 frames ( 800 x 800 ) in around an hour...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

theAVator

Lucky! haha

I usually work with some rather large engineering models (anywhere from 15-21GB in size) so it usually takes a little bit to res up. Most animations I run are usually about 3-3.5 min/frame, smaller models I can get away with 1.5 min/frame.   I also typically work in 1920x1080 so I can scale as needed after depending on the requirement.

Furniture_Guy

WHOA! With those parameters my render machine would probably take overnight too...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)