LCS or sRGB?

Started by cjwidd, May 31, 2018, 07:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjwidd

I recently came across this post with the same question.

Is this answer given in the documentation or elsewhere?

DriesV

I am not sure this is documented explicitly.
KeyShot by default uses a gamma value of 2, both for textures and display. While not exactly sRGB, it is a very close match and should work perfectly fine with almost all textures out there.

Regular users should not be worrying about this, in my opinion. "Linear workflow" is a bad (because highly confusing) solution to a problem that some other tools have, mainly arising from mismatched color management between host modeling app and rendering plugin.

Dries

DMerz III

Quote from: DriesV on June 01, 2018, 02:16:07 AM
Regular users should not be worrying about this, in my opinion. "Linear workflow" is a bad (because highly confusing) solution to a problem that some other tools have, mainly arising from mismatched color management between host modeling app and rendering plugin.

Dries

This is good to hear, Dries, I've been wondering if it even mattered in Keyshot. Either way, I am very grateful it isn't something to worry about in Keyshot, definitely an under-rated feature if true.

cjwidd

Quote from: DriesV on June 01, 2018, 02:16:07 AM
I am not sure this is documented explicitly.
KeyShot by default uses a gamma value of 2, both for textures and display. While not exactly sRGB, it is a very close match and should work perfectly fine with almost all textures out there.

Dries

Thank you for clarification. I was doing some grey ball tests and realized 50% grey was not correct.