1.02 Billion Triangles (or how my co-worker is absolutely bonkers)

Started by DMerz III, June 01, 2018, 08:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMerz III

:o

So last week at Renderworld, I mentioned to some folks how impressed I was with Keyshot's performance with geometry. My coworker 'accidently' turned on all of his model sets at once, and hit 110 million triangles (according to the heads up display). Granted most of this geometry was from instancing the same set of polygons in the scene, which apparently doesn't hit the memory as hard as purely unique models would.

But regardless, it was impressive!

Anyway...he just went absolutely nuts and hit 1.02 BILLION (yes, with a B) triangles in the scene, all on, at once. Keyshot isn't even flinching, and he is running a 3 year old custom Boxx machine. I can't believe it.

Then I noticed he even has photoshop open and running at the same time, absolute mad man. Anyway, I had to share. Does anyone know their highest triangle count (instancing or not?) Please share.

Thanks,

DM

theAVator

Still running like a champ!

mattjgerard

That's pretty insane. If anything I would think it would be  a RAM issue as well, depending on how large the KS doc is. I get nervous when I get above a couple million, which does happen on occasion. Pretty cool.

DMerz III

Quote from: theAVator on June 01, 2018, 10:09:56 AM
Still running like a champ!

Whew! and you have NURBs turned on, that's gonna be a hefty render time, haha

DMerz III

Quote from: mattjgerard on June 01, 2018, 10:18:48 AM
That's pretty insane. If anything I would think it would be  a RAM issue as well, depending on how large the KS doc is. I get nervous when I get above a couple million, which does happen on occasion. Pretty cool.

It is insane, I know there's a difference between instanced geometry and pure unique polygons, but I'm simply blown away. His Ram usage was only something like 18GB out of 64GB. Some great optimization by the dev team, kudos guys!

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: DMerz III on June 01, 2018, 10:33:16 AM
It is insane, I know there's a difference between instanced geometry and pure unique polygons, but I'm simply blown away. His Ram usage was only something like 18GB out of 64GB. Some great optimization by the dev team, kudos guys!

+1 on that! Scenes that makes the viewport in Modo lag significantly, runs so smoooth once loaded into KeyShot.