Issues trying to create actual bumps

Started by mrmunchies, July 01, 2018, 01:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmunchies

Hello, I'm quite new to KS and I'm trying to figure out how to texture a DNA strand I created in ZBrush. I went through the KS manual and I looked at tutorials, but I'm just not sure how to do it. I was under the impression I can apply a material and/or texture that'll create an uneven surface on my model that actually distorts the edges of my DNA strand, and not just simulates raised and lowered areas. Distorting the model in ZBrush is something I'd like to avoid.

The attached DNA strand in red is what I've come up with so far, but when I zoom in on the edges, it looks to me like it left the smooth cylinder shape intact on the sides. I also attached 2 images of an x-chromosome that has the unevenness I'd like to recreate.

This might be a bit of a newbie question, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DMerz III

What you're looking for is called Displacement mapping, and it is currently unsupported in Keyshot. It is supposed to be available in the next release (Keyshot 8). For now, you could do what I've been doing and bake the displacement in your modeling software (in your case, ZBrush) and import that geometry into keyshot for rendering.

mrmunchies