GUERLAIN - SHALIMAR IRIDESCENT FX

Started by elliasp, July 22, 2011, 12:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elliasp

JeffM

Really nice!

How many raybounces did you use on this?

EGON

Would work on the Shalimar label. Looks flat. Other than that NICE!

Speedster

I agree with Egon- the label could use an embossed quality, especially around the edge, and perhaps some texture.  Also, try toning down the backplate just a tad to bring the bottle into the foreground- but that's a subjective call.  Maybe desaturate it a bit in Photoshop.  But, regardless, it's a stunning image!!!  Good job!
Bill G

elliasp

Thanks guys,

So, here is my comments :

@ JeffM : I used 8 raybounces, because I wanted to keep some "black" in my glass material. I tried more, but the result was too "yellow" because of transparency, and I wanted an "amber" result, like chocolate or caramel.

@ EGON and Speester : You're right, indeed... but you know the job : when you take too many times on an image, you don't see details after hours of work :-)

In fact, in reality, the label is not shiny as the advertising (It's the 1900's bottle here, not the modern one) : it's more like the gold of a marlboro light cigarette pack... it's gold, but... flat. Moreover I had the perfect lighting I wanted on the bottle, but not on the label... Maybe I should try some postwork on photoshop about this...

About the color of the background, I tried many things (like desaturation of course) but the result was not what I expected : The bottle was to "different" from the background (excuse me, my english is very bad), I don't know how to explain this...

There is so much versions of this bottle, we tried to do the best, but you're right, maybe some volume and ligh on the sticker should be better :-)

elliasp

Ok, ok, you were right  ;D

elliasp

Yes, that's better  ;D

I did a "frosted glass effect" on photoshop, you can see it in high res, but here the gold sticker seems to be flat...   ???

Speedster

Wow!  Your last image is spot on!  All it took was a bit of highlight on the label to give it "roundness" for lack of a better word. I agree about desaturatiion- it seldom works with transparent objects and can really throw the color off.  And the lovely image with the black/white background is perfect to draw your eye to the subject.  The bottle, of course!
Bill G

feher

Your last image is great ! But, what are you selling chocolate ? :P
I want a chocolate bar now, got to go.
Thanks for sharing.
Tim

elliasp

Well, maybe I should put a naked women behind the bottle (or a naked guy...) just to see if my images are as strong as you said  ;D

guest84672

Maybe you do both so both genders on this forum are satisfied ... ;-)

elliasp

Wait to see my next render...  ;D

(no bad ideas, it's about cosmetics and chocolate ice cream  :P  )

guest84672

fasten

elliasp, nice work. We make cosmetic packaging and I would like to talk to you to help us set up with renderings....please drop me your details lars@fasten.nl

Jslowsky

This work is just drop-dead fantastic!!!
Over-the-top Great and for anyone on this forum to nit pick just curls my toes.
Clearly a practical expression of great marketing art. This Sells!!
I was friends with John Chan, the artistic photographer famous for all of Chanel's perfume bottles until his death in a car accident. They paid him $100k per ad because they sold $millions worth of perfume for the company. This does exactly that, if you are not already employed by luxury companies you should be.
Can't say enough good things about your work here. I challenge anyone to do better.
~~John