How to edit Glass material to get a colored edge?

Started by neuffer, June 19, 2018, 05:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neuffer

Hello,

I've done this rendering in Keyshot. It shows a profile corner of a window. The material used on the glass is a glass (solid) white. The environment is a grey color with some HDRI Spots on it.

I've tried several settings with the material and the environment to recreate the look you see in the second image, but the edge always stays dark. What am I doing wrong? How do I get a colored edge?

Thank you for reading and your help on this subject!

Greetings
Art

Will Gibbons

Hi Art,

Check your real-time render settings (the lightbulb tab in the project panel). Try Product mode. I think you don't have enough ray bounces.

neuffer

Hi Will,

thank you. Your hint helped a lot.

Do you have any advice for me regarding the rendering settings? I have to render with more than 200 samples for a smooth looking plastic. But even with 300 samples, it looks still grainy. The second picture is one with samples above 3000, but this results in horrible render times.

Actually, I use only 3 Soft HRDI Lights. Shall I switch to IES Area Lights? Will this result in lower render times?

Thanks, Art

DriesV

You could try rendering with Custom Control Quality. This quality setting will give smoother results for shadowed surfaces. Use 8 to 16 render samples as a starting point.

Dries