Blending two materials

Started by 78finn, June 20, 2018, 07:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

78finn

I am trying to blend two materials together:

Blending an opaque white plastic into a transparent clear plastic (within the same single material).

I will then want to apply and control the material when applied to a single part.

I'm working with KeyShot Pro, so have access to the material graph, but have no idea as to how to go about achieving this.

If you can help, I'd really appreciate it!

Finema

Hi
Have you try Color Composite node ?

78finn

Hi there,
Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't know. Have you got an example of how to go about using it?

Finema

Hi
show us what texture you want to blend
and i gave you  an example
;)

78finn

Well, its as stated...

White plastic and Clear Transparent plastic.

I don't have texture maps. Do I need them? Can't I simply combine two existing materials?

I'm used to using RenderMan, where this is very easy, literally one mouse click.

mattjgerard

Its really hard to guess at what you are trying to achieve. Are you saying that the object has 2 parts, like a translucent plastic with a clear top coat? or milky plastic with a shiny surface? It is possible that keyshot may not be able to do what you are looking for, but its rare to find someone on here that can't get the look they want. Layering of materials in KS is done a number of ways, using the labels, texture, opacity and bump add nodes in the material graph. If you can post an image or your project and an example of what you are trying to achieve we can take a peek at it.

78finn

Single part / one material

A material that seamless blends from an opaque white plastic to a clear plastic.

Sort of like the image attached (frosted glass to clear glass), but instead of going from a frosted glass to clear glass, I want to go from a pure white into a clear glass.

ieatfish

Like this?

This is a glass blending into a opaque plastic. I created the glass, then applied the opaque plastic as a label. I used a color gradient to fade the plastic and reveal the glass.

See attached for the image and bip.

edit: updated to be better.

mattjgerard

Yep, labels are the answer. I personally think that they should be called "layers" not "labels", as callign them labels restricts the thoughts of what one can do with them.  You can even drag any material from the library into the MatGraph to use as a label for your base clear glass.

Will Gibbons

Beautiful reference image btw, you know if it's a photo or rendering?

78finn

This is exactly what I was looking for thank you! I agree with the 'labels' description for doing things like this, its not exactly intuitive...but now I know that labels can be used in this way, it opens up many other possibilities. Thanks for the help.
Regarding the image, I think its a photo, not a rendering...I grabbed it from Google images.

evilmaul

I will add myself to the chore and also agree about the use of 'Labels' to do mixing....definitely unique compared with other 'graphs' out there and not intuitive in regards to mixing materials. Never understood the choice since it was firstly introduced few versions before

bdesign

As an alternate method to using Labels, you could map the Diffuse and Specular Transmission channels with Color Gradient nodes.

Cheers,
Eric

TGS808

Quote from: bdesign on June 24, 2018, 07:16:47 PM
As an alternate method to using Labels, you could map the Diffuse and Specular Transmission channels with Color Gradient nodes.

Awesome, perfection. (not a surprise coming from you)  :D

bdesign