Wood material suddenly changes direction of Grain

Started by seakon, June 25, 2018, 03:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seakon

Hello,

having a problem i am trying to solve since a week for which i couldnt find a solution in this forum or on the web (also quite new with keyshot, so pleas excuse me if the solutions is super simple  :P )
I have this chair i want to render in a wood texure, but the part of the chair, that is bend, the texture suddenly changes its direction, and i have nooooo cluew how to change that. Anybody has an idea? Very thankfull for every hints or tipps.

I work with rhino, exported the model als .obj.n The texture is a simple texture-map I created

Thank you in advance for your help and your time!

best

Furniture_Guy

Planar or Boxmap?

Repeat horizontal + vertical?

Center on model or part?

Width and height?

Use dpi for size?

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

seakon

Hello Furniture_Guy,

thank you for your reply and sorry for me reacting that late to it, i had a week off work....
I had it on "box-mapping" and changed it into "UV" now it flows much better, though i have to map now every single surface of wich the shell exists (as sometimes the direction of the wood goes in a 90-degree-turned direction) but i can get to a good result

Thanks a lot!!!

Furniture_Guy

Quote from: seakon on July 03, 2018, 04:13:54 AM
I had it on "box-mapping" and changed it into "UV" now it flows much better, though i have to map now every single surface of wich the shell exists (as sometimes the direction of the wood goes in a 90-degree-turned direction) but i can get to a good result

Seakon,

Don't apologize for a week off!

I don't use UV very often, box mapping or planar usually works for me but the bottom line is to use what works. I also have the luxury of full size 4ft x 8ft sheets of our common laminates that I took into our photo studio and photographed hi-res images to usein Keyshot. Also there's the old Photoshop Offset filter trick to tile and remove the seams. Lately I've been experimenting with Esben's tri-planar mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mubi6zVbMCg&t=325s

Doesn't always work but when it does it's a life saver. Just another trick to add to your bag of them. Kind of reminds me of an old Photoshop trick to blur just one of the RGB channels (usually the blue) of an image to get rid of noise...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

djensenevMum

I can log into my account fine, but when I want to go to the materials library it wont let me log in on any computer that I use. Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?