WIP Sequence and renders

Started by mattjgerard, March 24, 2017, 07:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

So, i found this model on  grabcad, its an angenieux 30-72 anamorphic PL mount lens by Alessandro Giansanti.

https://grabcad.com/library/angenieux-30-72-anamorphic-zoom-standard-pl-mount-accurate-measure-1

I was fortunate to be the camera tech on a shoot that was using this lens, and it was just beautiful. Both in build quality and image quality. So, I'm starting a little image study by locking the KS camera lens to this angle and am going to stop worrying about composition, models, etc, and totally focus on lighting, materials and environments.

First up is a simple drag and drop materials on the lens, so this is the stock out of the box look. Floor is concrete from poliigon (thanks to all that have cleared up how to use their textures its all making sense now!) Sort of an uncomfortable image for me, seeing a $63,000 lens on a concrete floor gives me the willies. Only reason this would happen in the real world is if it was dropped, which makes me shudder.

So, from here on out , game is on to see what other interesting looks I can get . Its going to be tough (but good for me) to be restricted to just fiddling with lights materials and environments.

Josh3D

Nice. Love the simplicity of it all - great looking lens too. The ground texture may be a tad distracting - kinda cringe seeing a nice lens laying on concrete ground! :) The lens element is missing a bit of that iridescent appearance.

mattjgerard

Been deep into work lately, so I don't have any finished lens images, this is the sort of stuff I get to do on a daily basis. Lots of cloudy plastics, metals and black.

mattjgerard

Update of the last shot, past the deadline so I went back to work on it to push it to where I wanted to get it before .

mattjgerard

One more from work, hardest part was getting the cardboard edge to look right. Tried to find an image texture, but had to end up making my own geometry.  I still hate the laser lines, but that is the standard that was set before I started here, and they don't want to change it yet. I'm working on it!

Will Gibbons

This looks great, Matt! On the lasers, I'd make them a bit skinnier and make sure they are brighter toward the center.

mattjgerard

Sort of a lighting study, we have a series of products called tower lights, and we have 3 diameters that can go from 1-10 segments tall with 2 base colors, 3 connection options, and mulitple audible modules that can go on the top.

Lots of options!

Most of our web images are of the unlit versions, as to render all lit combinations would be a nightmare, and an even bigger nightmare to link them in our PIM system. So, we went with unlit with the expectation of a few. We now make RGB versions of the segments instead of single color segments.

Up until recently we had different colored plastic materials that we would use to indicate different colors. Recently I began trying to make a single plastic material that would stay the same for all models, and look correct when unlit. Then the segment would be lit entirely by the LED array that was inside. Then my idea was to make a multi material for the LED area light material, and just have a single material to add to the LED array.

With the help of Dries and others on the forum I have tweaked the plastic to where it is performing properly when lit, but will have to use a different material for the unlit versions. Now I had someone request an image that would describe the variable color options of the RGB module, so I quickly knocked this up with some cylinders inside. There are 3, one each RGB lit with its own version of the multi material so a different color could be chosen for each one.

While it may not be 100% realistic, it performed a couple functions here-
     -Only had to use a single material for the cloudy plastic
     - Only had to apply one material to the emissive lights
     - was able to knock this sample together in about 3 minutes, sent to the render farm and had a photoshop worthy piece for the client in about 15-20 minutes. I'd say the workflow is proving itself to be of great benefit. My co-worker who had done the last version of this for the 50 mm model said it took them weeks in a different render engine to get the colors, transparencies and look good enough for use.  I am slowly building to be able to put all of this into the configurator and build an interface for the clients to build their own and get a model number to place an order.

The orange one was tough, an had to do more work in photoshop with it to get it to look like the others. This orange one I personally like because it is pretty accurate to what it looks like, even if its not what the marketing people want.

mattjgerard

One more of worker guidance lighting products. this bip file was well over 3gb, the robot arm itself went a little nuts on the tessellation coming from Cinema4d. I think I subdivided it a few too many times on output :)

Setup in Cinema
Render in Keyshot
Post in Photoshop.