Grainy renderings

Started by abuck, July 05, 2018, 05:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abuck

Hello dudes and dudettes.
I desperately need your help :'(
I am getting low quality or grainy renderings even when I set the render to 300 dpi.
I've read some of the other forum threads on this but still can't seem to fix it.
Its also happening with my other files.
I'm a beginner at Keyshot, so any suggestions or tips would be amazing.
I've attached some screen shots of my settings and the final render.

mattjgerard

Jumping in first-

1) dpi doesn't have anything to do with quality or amount of grain in your final render. Just describes the density of pixels when pulling your image in an editor in preparation for printing.

2)  In your render settings window, There are 3 options for decided how to render your image, Max Time, Max Samples and  Custom Control. Most have found that Max Samples is the way to go, start at 128 and go up from there until you find a setting that eliminates the noise you are looking at. The more samples  you allow, the longer the render "bakes" to calculate a smoother result, especially in the shadow and greyscale gradients.

3) Use the HUD in the real time window (press H) to see a realtime readout of how many samples are being used to get the image quality you are looking at. Let it sit and calculate for a while until you get to a level of noise that is acceptable to you, then cheeck the HUD and see what the samples are and use that as a starting point in your render options setting.

Don't worry, you'l get there. Everyone has to start somewhere, and most have started where you are at some point. Also, check out the keyshot YouTube channel for all things in the matter of tutorials, quick tips, and webinars on specific subjects.

INNEO_MWo

Matt has wrote the most important things. Just follow these tips and you'll on a very good way.
One thing I would mention, use the second lighting preset. The ,product' one enables global illumination and indirect ground reflection that these kind of materials like metal and paint doesn't need. Just play with the other environments of your library or look into the cloud library. That would improve your renders.

Have fun with KeyShot and maybe share your results.
This awesome community can help you a lot and many of them started with the same steps.

Cheers
Marco

abuck

You guys are awesome!
I can't wait to give this a try!
I'll post my results when I have them!
Many, many thanks!

jhiker

One other thing...
You can render just a region - you don't have to render the whole scene if you're experimenting with settings. If you have a particularly problematic area isolate that, find the best settings and apply to the final scene render.

mattjgerard

Quote from: jhiker on July 11, 2018, 05:26:34 AM
One other thing...
You can render just a region - you don't have to render the whole scene if you're experimenting with settings. If you have a particularly problematic area isolate that, find the best settings and apply to the final scene render.

Good tip. I do this on a daily basis with all the cloudy plastics I work with. speeds things up greatly.