Imported object turns black and error message comes up.

Started by mrmunchies, July 06, 2018, 06:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmunchies

Hello there, I've run into an issue after importing an OBJ from ZBrush into KS. Once the file opens in KS, the object is completely black, and I get a message saying: "Cannot load texture "Cell.bmp" used by material "defaultMat". Note that my object is named Cell.obj, but I'm not sure why it's looking for a "Cell.bmp".

A bit more background: I created a DNA strand and a blood cell in ZBrush. I've applied a surface noise to both objects so there's an actual displacement taking place, making them look more organic rather than all smooth. The strange thing is that I've used the same procedure in ZBrush to create the noise/displacement, and the DNA strand imports just fine, but KS somehow stumbles when it comes to importing the blood cell.

I don't know if this is enough info, but can some kindly explain to me in laymen's terms why it's looking for a texture with the blood cell object, but not the DNA strand object? Someone did ask a similar question in the following thread (https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=20725.0), and it was suggested to "use the geometry editor to recalculate the normals". I'm not sure what this means, and while the issue for the user in the above mentioned thread was resolved, I'm not sure what he ended up doing, as 2 solutions were offered.

If it's helpful if I upload relevant images, kindly advise and I'll do so. Any tips/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Will Gibbons

I think KeyShot is simply telling you it doesn't know where the texture is... try deleting it if you don't wish to use any texture and you should be fine. Or if you are trying to use a texture, drag it into the material graph and re-connect it.

I believe this will fix the issue.

mrmunchies

Hello Will, sorry for only replying just now. I did read your message at the time, but I got distracted with jumping back into KS and then I forgot about getting back to you.
It turns out that somewhere along the way I took a wrong turn in ZBrush and added or changed something I shouldn't have, and this caused KS to look for a texture. I did as you suggested, and I deleted the non-existing texture, and I was able to drag another texture on to it, so it worked out fine.
I also realised that by using the ZBrush to KS bridge, I no longer have to export my ZBrush files as OBJ files, and this is a massive time saver - what would take 5-10 mins to save as an OBJ in ZBrush, now only takes 20-30 secs. Totally worth the $150.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!

Will Gibbons

Quote from: mrmunchies on October 08, 2018, 08:11:12 PM
Hello Will, sorry for only replying just now. I did read your message at the time, but I got distracted with jumping back into KS and then I forgot about getting back to you.
It turns out that somewhere along the way I took a wrong turn in ZBrush and added or changed something I shouldn't have, and this caused KS to look for a texture. I did as you suggested, and I deleted the non-existing texture, and I was able to drag another texture on to it, so it worked out fine.
I also realised that by using the ZBrush to KS bridge, I no longer have to export my ZBrush files as OBJ files, and this is a massive time saver - what would take 5-10 mins to save as an OBJ in ZBrush, now only takes 20-30 secs. Totally worth the $150.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!

No worries! Great to hear and good to have you report the resolution!