Main Menu

Cushion Stool

Started by Pouya Hosseinzadeh, July 20, 2018, 06:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pouya Hosseinzadeh

In one of the fascinating challenges that is being held on Instagram
One of the topics chosen for this challenge was the design of a chair that was welcomed by many designers and Sam Gwilt designed a very interesting and creative work that called Cushion Stool.
I decided to do this interesting stool and here you can see the final render images that have been attached.
Any comment is acceptable to me :)

Hossein Alfideh

That's one good looking stool!Great fabric on the cuisine too!the only thing that comes to mind is the wall and ground are hard to be separated as they are most likely the same in color.A little contrast would help the eye to figure out they are two different surfaces.also the shadow of the stool's left leg doesn't reach the shadow on the wall.How many light sources are you using in this scene?

nicordf

The scene and composition in general looks fantastic, And the mood you managed to create with the lighting scheme is superb!

The only thing that catches my eye is the wood base roughness (I've been obsessed with timber renderings for a few years now hehe), scale and the way the map is positioned. The grain looks like elm, which in general has a wider scale, and not so much gloss. Are the legs modeled out of different pieces? or just one?

Pouya Hosseinzadeh

Quote from: Hossein Alfideh on July 20, 2018, 08:41:37 AM
That's one good looking stool!Great fabric on the cuisine too!the only thing that comes to mind is the wall and ground are hard to be separated as they are most likely the same in color.A little contrast would help the eye to figure out they are two different surfaces.also the shadow of the stool's left leg doesn't reach the shadow on the wall.How many light sources are you using in this scene?
Means a lot Hossein! actually you're right. I should to spend more time on the lighting process. I used HDRI Editor panel and I had chosen
Sun&Sky mode as environment background. Just this!
Quote from: nicordf on July 20, 2018, 09:38:51 AM
The scene and composition in general looks fantastic, And the mood you managed to create with the lighting scheme is superb!

The only thing that catches my eye is the wood base roughness (I've been obsessed with timber renderings for a few years now hehe), scale and the way the map is positioned. The grain looks like elm, which in general has a wider scale, and not so much gloss. Are the legs modeled out of different pieces? or just one?
Really appreciate it Nico! Do you mean that I should choose more roughness to stool legs And I should reduce the amount of glossy ?! The base(Stool Legs) was modeled as a single part in Rhinoceros.

nicordf

Quote from: PouyaHosseinzadeh on July 20, 2018, 10:41:52 AM

Really appreciate it Nico! Do you mean that I should choose more roughness to stool legs And I should reduce the amount of glossy ?! The base(Stool Legs) was modeled as a single part in Rhinoceros.
A quick fix to that glossiness without affecting the texture maps is blending the map with a darker shade of gray, that would work I guess. The grain direction I mentioned is related to the attached image, where I think the best and easiest way to achieve a nice mapping is by splitting the 'crossbars' in order to manage each texture independently.

Do you mind if I ask you how did you model the cushion? Was it made in Rhino as well? I've never been able to achieve such an organic and relaxed piece, it looks so real!

Pouya Hosseinzadeh

Quote from: nicordf on July 20, 2018, 12:29:56 PM
Quote from: PouyaHosseinzadeh on July 20, 2018, 10:41:52 AM

A quick fix to that glossiness without affecting the texture maps is blending the map with a darker shade of gray, that would work I guess. The grain direction I mentioned is related to the attached image, where I think the best and easiest way to achieve a nice mapping is by splitting the 'crossbars' in order to manage each texture independently.

Do you mind if I ask you how did you model the cushion? Was it made in Rhino as well? I've never been able to achieve such an organic and relaxed piece, it looks so real!
I understand the explanations that you gave me. Due to my hie and limited time in preparing the final output I did not pay attention to these areas. Be sure I will make changes and upload them again.