Problem with Deformable mesh import

Started by kayvan, July 31, 2018, 04:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kayvan

Hi all,

I am trying to import an animation from 3Dmax and combine it with another animation in Keyshot.
The file (Alembic .ABC)  gets imported and plays in the animation window but it is all one piece. I am unable to assign different material to different parts of the model. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Eric Summers

Right click on the part you want to separate in the real time view choose Unlink Material.

kayvan

Thanks Eric but I already tried that and it did not work.

I also tried another route as shown in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yei0huI2ck8

Exported the animation from Max using the Keyshot plugin into frame by frame bip files. I could not make that work either. In the video there is a script that is loaded, anyone know how I can get my hands on that script?

Eric Summers

Hmm... if I remember correctly, there are two options for saving an .abc file from Max; which are you using? I know I had some troubles when my coworker exported using one of them.

I'm not sure if this would have any bearing on anything, but are you importing the .abc file into a new scene or an existing one?

kayvan

I am saving it as an Alembic file and I choose the Ogawa from the drop down. And I am trying to import it as a new scene. It comes into Keyshot and the animation plays but the model is one piece. The entire character is represented with a single entry in the scene panel .

Eric Summers

Those are the settings we used. This sounds like it might have something to do with Max if you only have one entity in the scene tree. Are you working with one body or multiple bodies? If it's one body, change the color of the triangles in Max that you want to apply different materials to. For multiple bodies you could do the same thing or use Split Separate Objects in the KS Edit Geometry command.

kayvan

Thanks Eric. We separated the bodies in Max and re-attached them to the skeleton and it worked :)