[RESOLVED] CRASH to blue screen KS 7/8 and Windows 10

Started by DetroitVinylRob, August 06, 2018, 07:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DetroitVinylRob

Hello all,

I'm having issues with three new PC's running Windows 10 PRO that have new loads of KS 7.3.40 and Network Rendering 7.3.37. The machines is an HP Z6 Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6128 CPU@ 3.40 GHz 3.39 GHz (2 processor) 64GB RAM (usable) 64-bit operating system, x64 based processor and 12 cores/24 thread, Nvidia P5000 graphics card . Out of the more than seventy identical CAD workstations we have running locally with identical loads (with exception of KS) the three with KS are continually crashing and restarting showing a blue screen of death with the stop error code: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED. Sometimes it happens when i am working on KS, or running renders, and sometimes when I'm not even running KS... Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanx in advance, Rob

DetroitVinylRob

Bump... still having Microsoft blue screen of death failures on these machines now with KS 8.0.247 with no luck finding issue. This is really getting annoying. Looking for a solution, anyone? anyone?

mattjgerard

Kill of the NR and see if that fixes it, I had some odd issues with my NR Z8 running both 7 and 8 at the same time. That might explain the crashes while KS isn't even running. NR is a finicky thing to get running sometimes, but once it is correctly configured its rock solid.

Crash logs show anything interesting? Temps OK? Swap out RAM sticks too, Ive had those cause weird issues.

DetroitVinylRob

Quote from: mattjgerard on November 19, 2018, 09:09:08 AM
Kill of the NR and see if that fixes it, I had some odd issues with my NR Z8 running both 7 and 8 at the same time. That might explain the crashes while KS isn't even running. NR is a finicky thing to get running sometimes, but once it is correctly configured its rock solid.

Crash logs show anything interesting? Temps OK? Swap out RAM sticks too, Ive had those cause weird issues.

mattjgerard, Thank you for responding. Not sure what you mean by kill of the NR??? Please explain

mattjgerard

Turn off all the Network render services on all the computers. Run for a while and see if there are any crashes.

mattjgerard

And as of about 10 min ago you can update to keyshot 8.1 and network render 8.1. Not sure that will help, but another thing to try.

Niko Planke

Blue Screens usually point towards  more general issues with the system that are independent of KeyShot.

Possible causes fro Blue Screens can be plenty, reaching from driver issues over to aggressive over-clocks or overheating issues to Hardware issues.

The load KeyShot can put on the CPU is fairly unique and may not be comparable to the load the other systems experience.
Please try to set KeyShot and the rendering slave to only use half the cores or less. If that improves the stability  please check the system Temperatures since there might be an overheating issue.

A system like the one you describe can output a lot of heat when under full load.

Checking for Driver issues:

• The simplest thing to do is to update the graphics-card driver.
  • If that does not resolve the issues try unplugging or swapping all peripheral devices.
    If you can narrow it down to one specific device try updating its driver.

If none of the above seems to improve the system stability i suggest to run a load test on the system.

DetroitVinylRob

Thank you fellow KeyShooters for all the input, this gives me some possible insight.

mattjgerard: I will look into shutting down the NR for a bit and see what happens.

We have upgraded our drivers to KeyShot support recommendations on these three machines even though this has not been vetted for our design/engineering community CAD workstations at large.

I do truly understand that this issue may very likely have nothing to do with KeyShot itself yet it is the only variable with the inflicted of some 70 machines and I felt some of you may of had to work through similar issues. I also realize that real-time rendering puts some extreme demand on a workstation...

We just loaded 8.1.58 this morning and... within ten minutes of being back to working I had one workstation go blue screen on me, hmmm.

mattjgerard

Do you run KS with the CPU usage at 100%? I've found best practice in my situation is to drop it to the next lower option, for me its 92% with 22 cores. That leaves enough overhead free for admin tasks and other apps to run in the background. Sometimes for some reason it will default to 100% on certain older files and my machine will heat right up (hp640z) and slow waaaaay down.

Lots of possibilities and I am not envious of your position :) These things can be a bugger to track down.

DetroitVinylRob

Yes mattjgerard, always leave some headroom and run 92% CPU. Thank you

DetroitVinylRob

So, just to close the loop here.

My IT group has resolved this issue and all has been running fine for some time.

I felt it would be important to share this good news. Here is what we figured out: first, KeyShot and Network Rendering are not the issue whatsoever. What was an issue is 3DConnexion SpaceMouse connected to my KeyShot workstations. Uniquely, this devise and its associated software was not an issue with our CAD modeling software packages such as NX or Catia, but with KeyShot it created a problem.

I am certainly not an IT guy and cannot comment on the technical aspects of this issue but upon receiving support from the 3D software folks at 3DConnexion our continual and annoying blue screening has vanished.

I want to thank everyone who left comments and tried to offer assistance with my issue.

Hopefully for good.   

mattjgerard

Quote from: DetroitVinylRob on July 10, 2019, 07:23:21 AM
So, just to close the loop here.

My IT group has resolved this issue and all has been running fine for some time.

I felt it would be important to share this good news. Here is what we figured out: first, KeyShot and Network Rendering are not the issue whatsoever. What was an issue is 3DConnexion SpaceMouse connected to my KeyShot workstations. Uniquely, this devise and its associated software was not an issue with our CAD modeling software packages such as NX or Catia, but with KeyShot it created a problem.

I am certainly not an IT guy and cannot comment on the technical aspects of this issue but upon receiving support from the 3D software folks at 3DConnexion our continual and annoying blue screening has vanished.

I want to thank everyone who left comments and tried to offer assistance with my issue.

Hopefully for good.

Good to know. I've got one of those sitting on my desk, but I just can't get used to using it. Mine is the single knob, not one of the others with the button pads. For sale if anyone is interested :)